I hope I am doing the right thing until I can get her to the vet

Feb 5, 2019
This morning when I opened the coop door, I noticed something off with one of my buffs. (She’s a year and a half old) She was just slow to come out, which is far from the normal. She came out, tail down, and laid in the grass. So, I picked her up with very little resistance from her, still odd, and checked her out. Her butt was a poopy mess, so I showered her, trying to see how bad it was. It took me quite a minute to actually grasp what I was actually seeing.
About an inch below her vent, I thought I seen new feathers coming in. Nope. It was maggots in a dime size hole. After I literally lost my breakfast in the yard, I started to panic. I mean, freaking out kind of panic.
Apparently, the poopy butt has lead to flystrike. This is what I gathered from panic google searching.
So, with the wet hen in one arm, I start running warm/cool water in the tub, and we crawl in. I read where drowning the maggots is the key, and removing the ones who doesn’t drown manually is necessary. It’s fine, I don’t have anything else to vomit.
I trimmed all the feathers from the area, cleaned her butt up, and free from maggots, I dried her with the blow dryer on low, and sprayed the Vetericyn plus spray on the area, set up a make shift hospital cage in my laundry room thats air conditioned with food, water with a tad bit of apple cider vinegar, and bought the electrolyte mix for her next water supply. I will inspect and spray her butt 3 times tomorrow. She has eaten a few blueberries that I have seen, and she actually had a good solid poop earlier. Which is opposite of the runny poop she had on my shirt, down my leg and into my shoes earlier so that’s a plus.

Am I doing things correctly until I can get her to the vet Monday? You guys have always been such a great help...thanks in advance!

They were tiny little gross buggers. So I will check her again in the morning as she was super stressed this evening after the eventful morning. So an extensive recheck will be in the morning, and then tomorrow evening. Geez I hope I got them all too. Thanks!

They were tiny little gross buggers. So I will check her again in the morning as she was super stressed this evening after the eventful morning. So an extensive recheck will be in the morning, and then tomorrow evening. Geez I hope I got them all too. Thanks!
Not to worry if you didn’t get them all as long as you’re taking her to a vet in the morning the vet will be able to flush out the wound properly using a syringe and out will come any of the other maggots. I had a similar issue last year with one of my girls the fortunately the wound was much smaller than a dime. I had to keep her in my mudroom for several days and trust me when I say those flies found their way in. So I had to hang fly strips in my mudroom but it helped.

This morning when I opened the coop door, I noticed something off with one of my buffs. (She’s a year and a half old) She was just slow to come out, which is far from the normal. She came out, tail down, and laid in the grass. So, I picked her up with very little resistance from her, still odd, and checked her out. Her butt was a poopy mess, so I showered her, trying to see how bad it was. It took me quite a minute to actually grasp what I was actually seeing.
About an inch below her vent, I thought I seen new feathers coming in. Nope. It was maggots in a dime size hole. After I literally lost my breakfast in the yard, I started to panic. I mean, freaking out kind of panic.
Apparently, the poopy butt has lead to flystrike. This is what I gathered from panic google searching.
So, with the wet hen in one arm, I start running warm/cool water in the tub, and we crawl in. I read where drowning the maggots is the key, and removing the ones who doesn’t drown manually is necessary. It’s fine, I don’t have anything else to vomit.
I trimmed all the feathers from the area, cleaned her butt up, and free from maggots, I dried her with the blow dryer on low, and sprayed the Vetericyn plus spray on the area, set up a make shift hospital cage in my laundry room thats air conditioned with food, water with a tad bit of apple cider vinegar, and bought the electrolyte mix for her next water supply. I will inspect and spray her butt 3 times tomorrow. She has eaten a few blueberries that I have seen, and she actually had a good solid poop earlier. Which is opposite of the runny poop she had on my shirt, down my leg and into my shoes earlier so that’s a plus.

Am I doing things correctly until I can get her to the vet Monday? You guys have always been such a great help...thanks in advance!
You appear to be doing everything just fine. If there are maggots, there are probably fly eggs, so I wouldn’t be surprised if more maggots showed up in the next couple days.

How is she doing today?
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

Last edited:
Her butt was still maggot free today, and I have sprayed it twice today. She is eating and drinking fine, and I have put electrolytes in her water, just in case. The place has scabbed over, so apparently it’s healing. I’m still going to make her an appointment at the vet tomorrow so they can make sure everything is on the up and up.
Thanks so much for everyone’s help and advice!

Back
Top Bottom