I Intervened...Seeking Advice

larob24

Chirping
Jun 23, 2016
Egg-incubating newbie here!🤦🏻‍♀ We’ve had chickens for years, but always purchased chicks from the local fleet store. This year, since the kids were getting schooled from home, we thought incubating eggs might be a good learning experience. We put 19 eggs in two incubators last month, tossed 3 eggs that were not viable on Day 7, and had 15 hatch without issue between Days 20 and 21. The 16th egg pipped..but after 36 hours had passed...and we were well into Day 22...I intervened when I could tell the shell was drying out and there was little chance the chick would make it out on its own. (I’ve reconsidered that decision about a million times in the past five days...I know intervening is bad... but here we are. ) So, this chick came out like a wet noodle still attached to the egg by a thick white cord. I left it in the incubator overnight. The next day (Sunday), after realizing the chick had a large red swelled area on its abdomen, I gave the chick a little bath, applied some neosporin, and set it up in its own little brooder box. It couldn’t walk for several days..it’s legs were like rubber bands. But, day by day, it seemed to improve..it started drinking, eating a little, the legs got stronger, etc. So, today (Wednesday), I decided to give it another rinse, since the underside was looking a little messy. While I was washing it, there was suddenly a yellow substance all over my hands. It looked a lot like egg yolk. There was quite a bit of it. Can anyone tell me exactly what is going on with this chick and what I might expect? Do you think it will make it?
EDCF349B-8ECA-4DE7-968A-44B48A9F49DA.jpeg

92EC866D-2CD0-4A8F-ABCF-E22CE1902566.jpeg

FF7C5A26-F703-49B7-886E-E680D3F8F803.jpeg

I know it's a bit late to respond, but how's the chick doing?

So, today (Wednesday), I decided to give it another rinse, since the underside was looking a little messy. While I was washing it, there was suddenly a yellow substance all over my hands. It looked a lot like egg yolk. There was quite a bit of it. Can anyone tell me exactly what is going on with this chick and what I might expect? Do you think it will make it?

I wonder if the substance could have been chick poop? I know animals sometimes have poop in strange colors.

Amazingly well! Thanks for asking! On Day 8, I gave it another bath and the scabbed blob came off, revealing a perfectly healed abdomen. I put the chick in with the others last Sunday (Day 9), and it has doubled in weight since then (it’s still only 1/3 of the size of the others). It was amazing to me how much better it looked within hours of being with the others...good mental health has a lot to do with the healing process, I think...but I am glad I waited to integrate as long as I did, as I am afraid the others would have picked at it. There were many moments when I was ready to give up on it, but so glad I gave it time and patience and care. I think it was a portion of the yolk sack that was not fully absorbed into the chick before it arrived...the fluff on the abdomen was stained yellow once the scab came off.

Back
Top Bottom