i JUST DID THAT.. POKED A HOLE IN AN EGG WITH A LIVE CHICK IN IT UGH... SUGGESTIONS? PICSI UPDATE!!!

chevgrl

Songster
8 Years
Feb 6, 2011
Western Iowa
I totally just tried doing an eggtopsy on a egg thats on its 25th day. pipped a small hole in the egg and heard it started moving around under the external membrane. I had done a water test on it on day 23 (it was jumping around) then again on day 25 and there was absoluely no movement @ all. so i decided this morning to let it sit for a day. and its done nothing... chances are its shrink wrapped it hasnt pipped internally that i can see. any ideas? i mean if its shrink wrapped would it be moving at all? its slowed down abunch and i can still see it making breathing movements

Update!!!

The chick pipped the external membrane and the shell... I cant believe it... I decided last night not to interfere and this afternoon when i got home from work he had completely turned around inside the shell and pipped. I had little hope and now im trying not to get my hopes up. it isnt shrink wrapped it acctually perfectly moist not over moist.

Last edited:
its chirping like craziness... should i help it at all? i maybe prolonging the inevitable but then again what would it hurt if its going to die anyhow? has anyone ever had a chick hatch on it own after this?

Had this happen today. Six eggs. Four pipped yesterday but nothing after that. Decided the run the shower and fill the bathroom up with steam. Took the incubator in with me. I took an egg that had pipped but only the inner membrane. I decided to help it out. (this is something that I NEVER DO! although i really felt that I needed to at the time. Anyway, I candles the egg to be positive where the air sac was and I broke throight the shell and the inner membrane until the beak was out. I was REALLY careful doing this because of the veins...you can kill a chick real quick by doing this.I decided to leave the others as they were chirping pretty good and I felt that they would be fine. spent the day with the family. Came home this evening to find the one chick I helped alive but the other three dead. Their beaks were out but that was it. I had two eggs that had not pipped yet, I just figured they weren't viable so I decided to pip their shells and they were alive! I ended up helping these little guys out. All three chicks are doing great tonight. I guess this is a case that I feel that I did the right thing. HOWEVER, I had a bad experience the one time I tried this in the past and told myself I would never do it again. I am all about letting nature take it course, but i just lost 24 eggs last week to the same situation and I guess I decided that they would meet the same fate. i paid alot of money for these eggs and really want this breed! I know that I was lucky with these three and am confident that if I didn't assist, they would not have made it. I believe it is a humidity issue although all of my settings were accurate...and I rarely open up the incubator. These were shipped eggs that had detached air cells etc. Now I wish that I would of helped the other three this morning...:(.

I still have other eggs in the bator so the humidity is 65% thats about as high as im comfortable with. ohhh... I hope it works!! I have never pipped a hole and found it still alive. and Ive done a ton of eggtopsies so weird I feel guilty like I gave him the death sentence :(

Last week on day 19, my sister cracked and egg open thinking it had stopped developing. She then realized it was alive. She put it back in the incucubator, in it;s cracked shell, and then ended up helping it escape the glued on membrane 2 days later. He/she is doing fine now, no problems.

The next day she accidentally dropped a water bottle on an egg and it cracked. The chick also is fine. (I'm not sure if she ended up helping that one out or not.)

Last edited:
I have a similar situation mine was overdue so made a hole in the top to find it's still alive, I was then told I need to help it or tosh shrink wrapping but I panicked so only made a hole on the inner montane where it's beak is and put it back in the incubator with high humidity this was yesterday afternoon it's is now 10am the next day and I expected to wake up to find it dead in the shell but instead it's still alive am moving around inside more than it was yesterday... now what do I do????

Back
Top Bottom