I just don't have the skills and need some advice on purchased coops

chick'n'weave

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Texas
I get the feeling after reading posts, that everybody out there is very handy with DIY coops. Wish I was. Have no relatives or neighbors close enough to ask for help either. So I am hoping that someone else out there has purchased a coop and finds it is just right for their full grown flock. I plan to keep 4-6 hens and would like to have a run attached as well. Any advice is welcome. thanks.

My best advice is not to purchase a premade coop.
They are overpriced and all grossly over exaggerate how many chickens the building will hold. I often see coops that say they can hold 15 and they're barely adequate for 4.
They apparently are companies that do building but know nothing about chickens. Not enough ventilation and way more nest boxes than the chickens will need.
I like to tell them, "save the money on the nest boxes and make the coop better".

If you don't want to build from scratch, I have two suggestions.
If you have any skills at all, buy a prefab storage shed from a big box store and modify it to suit chickens.
Or
Go to the coops tab at the top of this page and peruse all the appropriately sized buildings people have made. Most have complete plans and bill of materials.
Then go on Craigslist and find a carpenter, show him/her the plans and have them build your ideal coop for you.

If I had any type of experience building I probably could have built one cheaper, but I didn't feel comfortable attempting to build one alone. My husband is stationed overseas and this is the best one I could find for a temporary coop until he gets home and builds me the coop I really want. I'll probably only use this one for a year or two then sell it on craigslist or something.
Keep your small coop when you get the one you want. One always needs emergency secondary housing. It can be used to quarantine new birds, injured, sick and as a broody apartment for hatching and raising chicks.

... or rather his second career is coming soon! haha
Part of that career will be building coops.

.... Also Thank you Every man needs a good women and military women behind there men it what makes them so great.

Thank You
Scott
So true.
That separation is tough.

I'm in the same situation as you! I have absolutely NO experience building things, besides a little things like the kid's beds or entertainment centers.. This is the one I am going to be buying from Tractor Supply. I saw it in person and it's a good size. It says '15 chicken coop' but there's no way I'd put that many in there. I think it will be good for my 5! It looks easy to clean since you can take the bottom out of the coop, it has vents and roosts inside, and the nesting boxes are easy to get to from the outside.. I'm pretty sure I'm going to make a few little improvements though- I noticed there isn't a door where the ramp is and I'm going to attempt to make a bigger run attached to the side.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...n-walk-in-coop-up-to-15-chickens?cm_vc=-10005

WOW! What's depressing about that is that people may believe they could actually cram 15 birds in there. I guess if they rode on each other's backs.
The only thing that makes sense to me is that they take the number of birds that fit into a layer cage on an egg farm and extrapolate from there.
I wish some company would make a coop and be honest about the capacity. There are none so far.

Maybe this isn't written as well as it should have been (I take too long to get to it..........), but below was my effort at explaining coop sizes.

The Pre-Fab coops must be using Cage Layer numbers or are even including the enclosed run area in their SF per bird. Most are entirely out of whack. Best assumption one can make about them is they are NOT made to house chickens. They are made as product to sell..........and a bad product it is.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1149928/chicken-math-made-easy

Thanks so much for your suggestions. As I kept shopping for premade coops, and then read reviews, they were always mixed messages, so it's hard to know what to believe. I knew BYC would give me straight answers! Appreciate your time in responding with helpful ideas.

If you are able to assemble a prefab coop, you are more than capable of building your own. It's really not that hard. And most hardware/lumber stores will do all the major cuts for you.
Look through the coops section for ideas. Many of the coops featured there also have detailed plans.

Thank you Scott, for the great suggestions and the link to clubhouse coop. I don't have access to power saws to cut wood lengths, but maybe Lowe's would cut pieces for me. I will definitely return to BYC folks for advice when the build begins.

Back
Top Bottom