I just have to vent

That is sad. I have a soft spot for rats myself. It is indeed frequently difficult to understand just what some people are thinking (or not thinking).

I had some neighbors with rabbits, when they desided they didn't want them anymore (and there were alot!), they released them, all through winter we'd find dead rabbits laying all over, I doubt any of them survived, never saw any live ones.

Quote:
I AGREE, a life is a life. I too have seen where tame pet rabbits were let loose & they'd just be found dead. They don't know what a true predator is having been safe as a pet behind a cage for safety.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.

Oh dear-I remember being your age and coming to realize that a vast majority of the human race had a chronic condition known as IGNORANCE. Unfortunately this condition is paid for dearly by our animals. This is very disheartening. The best thing that we can do to combat this is to set good example and try to educate these people.
Domesticated- Animal bred by humans to serve a purpose-bred to be dependent on humans for survival.
Wild-Able to rely on self for survival. does not need humans and really is not fond of them.
Domesticates do not become wild, Wilds do not become domesticates.

If you have an animal that you no longer are able to care for Contact a rescue organization for that animal. There are Rescues for everything. Rabbits, Rodents, Snakes, Birds, Farm animals etc...DO NOT let the animal loose to fend for itself. The ones that do survive will interact and mate with Wilds and that threatens the survival of the wild animals. Here in OHIO our cotton tail rabbit population is threatened and one of the reasons is because of the genetic contribution from the domestic rabbit.

I found my first rabbit at our local cemetery. Someone had released him there to fend for himself. He was terrified and starving and he and I both had just witnessed the gruesome death of what I assume was his mate after a local Malamute walking his person attacked him. I'm sure their former people thought they'd be just fine.

Anyone wiith an unwanted Rabbit can go to www.rabbit.org and find a link to their local rescue group.

That is horrible. Releasing ANY animal is irresponsible. When you release a domestic animal, it has the potential to breed with a wild population and totally screw up their gentics. If you release slow rabbits into the wild and they breed with wild rabbits, that makes slower rabbits that are easier to be caught by predators. Its just stupid. If you cant care for them, find a rescue or new home. People infuriate me so much. That's how I wound up with my rabbit. He was running around the parking lot at my mom's work and I managed to catch him. Poor guy, I was way too worried about the wild population of jack rabbits here. And his safety of course.

Walker, Et. AL; Would any of you be interested in offering refuge to a young female rat in need of a good and safe home? I am in a very hard situation, and I am having to make some hard choices, and as a loving and responsible pet parent, I find it only fair that I tell you why I ask; Due to domestic violence and child abuse, my ex husband was arrested October 1st, he is being sentenced tomorrow in Coconino Superior Court District 2 at 0830, and the best we can hope for is that he will get the max, which is 1.75 years,(if he had stolen a credit card he would have gotten more time), but since he is half owner of the property, he is refusing to cooperate in its sale and he has not provided any support and will not be providing any for at least a year. We are in Foreclosure, and by the end of February, we will be out of our home.
I have managed to place my flock, my goats, my geese, and most of my dogs, but I have not been able to place my rat,'Joy" or my 5 year old male bloodhound,(my avatar) Earl.
Both are hard placements because Joy is a rat, and Earl is very Alpha. Local shelters have offered no hope for placement, and I have written to "Dog Town" and several other "Rescues", so now I am reaching out to BYC'rs.
If you know of anyone in the Northern AZ area, or even close, who would want either one, or both, and could come get them, then please let me know! A local shelter reccomended I euthenize Earl because he wont get along with other big boy dogs, but I want to keep trying to find him a good home.
Joy is friendly, not too nippy, and even comes with a really cool 3 tier cage and lots of toys and a wheel and equipment.
Earl is neutered, up to date on all shots, except rabies because he wont load in the truck for me, and I cant lift him anymore.He is also housebroken and good with kids and most stock.

It's one thing to have them as pets but to release RATS!!!!! They are vermin in the wild, they are destructive, if they get into someone's house there can be huge damages and THEY will be responsible. If the tame rats are caught, they could have huge liability bills.....

Hope they have good lawyer in family.

Quote:
Where did you say you were located at? I would be interested. Has she always lived alone? how old is she?

I noticed that Arizona part in your post. Im way over here in alabama, and I know the distance from here to Aizona. I used to live in Phoenix.

Last edited:
Quote:
I live no where near th boy's home and there is no way I could catch them. I doubt they are evn alive today becuase of how young they were.

Well that sucks....That is such a shame, those poor little things! That IS just so wrong!
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom