I just watched 5 of my day old chicks suddenly act strange and then die in ten minutes!!!Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, unmedicated because of the Ducks, they cannot have medicated feed. The first time it was Purina, the second time Poulin Grain, a local brand. It was not the feed. All my other chick's and the rest of my flock were eating it with no issues. And, I am still feeding them from the same bag with no issues.

Well sadly it happened again
sad.png
The only common denominator is the feeder. It is a pink plastic chick feeder with a plastic jar with a pink and purple rooster printed on it. I have had it for 6 years or so. I dont know if there is some chemical leaching from the plastic or if somehow something toxic got onto it somehow, something that the plastic absorbed and cant be washed out. I really cant imagine what that would be. I lost 8 ducklings the same way as the chicks, then, the next day 6 more, using a tupperware dish I had washed along with the pink one. I think either the heat of the brooder or getting wet makes it release the toxins.
I am only using glass feeders and waterers with the little ones now
sad.png

Definitely go glass or ceramic dishes. They're also good for fermented feed, if you can get your chicks on that!

I would also question the aquarium's previous occupants & issues: fresh water, salt water, ich treatment, mould/fungus issues, etc. Aquariums are great for brooding chicks, but need a LOT of ventilation & safe cleaning. Also, I didn't see, is the aquarium a commercial brand or 'homemade'? If the latter, it's possible the silicone used isn't aquarium safe & may be leaching toxic fumes from the heat lamp.

Also, make sure the bulbs are tinted glass & not sprayed. Even if they say they're suitable for animals. I've kept hermit crabs in the past which are very sensitive to toxins. I nearly found out the hard way that some bulbs are coated with teflon & it seems the companies might not have to tell you!

WAIT - you're using paper towels in the brooder?

Some paper towels have a LOT of chemicals in them. Dioxins & formeldahides, among other stuff. I would put down pine shavings or puppy pads instead and then increase airflow. I've read some people do not add paper towels to their bird cages (ie, finches, budgies) due this very reason. Combined with an aquarium brooder which has very little air exchange, you could be inadvertently gassing them.

It is not a homemade aquarium, very clean and dry, non coated bulb, I looked up the serial # to make sure, wire cover, and they had only been in there about 12 hours tops, only a few had started eating, those were the ones that died. As soon as I removed the food I had no more problems. Since I thought it was the feed, I have used the same setup twice with no losses. I did not lose any again until I used that dish, and that was not in the aquarium.
This is not a husbandry issue, I am not new at this, and am well aware of all the potential hazards, and am very careful and diligent about the care of my chicks.
They were poisioned by that feeder, no doubt in my mind at all.

Grind up the food or offer them mush. The first Polish I hatched died because I never realized that the feed crumbles were too big-it did say chicks. With the next batch, I realized that all 8 of this batch were throwing food around and not eating, I ground up the food and they ate like vultures. I grind up everything for a week or two now. Just a thought.

Sorry, I just read they were a day old?

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear of your loss of baby chicks. I know it is sad and very frustrating. I sure am NO avian expert, but I have read all your post a couple of times. I think you are looking "up the wrong tree". I don't think it is the feed OR the feeder. BUT let me say again I am no expert I am only sharing past experiences. 1. As difficult as it can be ~ do a necropsy on one of the dead chicks. There are instructions on the wonderful B.Y.C. web site. You really don't have to get as technical as the site list. Just dip the poor little dead chickie in some soapy water, have some sharp scissors and a VERY sharp cutting implement. (Razor knife
x-acto blade, scalpel, etc.) Then follow the general instructions for the necropsy. Wear disposable gloves of course and I would do it as far away form the other birds ~ and down wind as possible. Have multiple pr.s of gloves handy. As soon as you start this your nose will itch, the phone will ring, U.P.S. will come with a package, you will suddenly need to go pee pee, a family member will have a 'right now' moment, you will have forgotten something you needed for the necropsy ~ and a few other things. (^v^) Then take pictures ~ lots of pictures. Take insides out, heart, ESPICALLY the LIVER, take pictures, lots of pictures If you have a vet you are on good terms with ask them to look at the pictures. If you have a University near by with an Avian Dept. call them, ~ or just show up on their door step (^V^). Any parts of the bird that look a little "off" put in a baggie and freeze, promptly. I know all of this sounds just terrible but it really needs to be done. A necropsy is the only way you are going to find out what is killing the birds. We can all sit here at our computers all day and "guess". If feed, bulbs, containers, were to blame you would not be losing a bird at a time. They would all die at or near the same time. So sorry for your loss and heart break ~ best wishes.

There is something leaching out of the plastic used in the feeder. What I want to know now is what that could be, and to warn others, there are some scary things in plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom