I knew this day would come

NorthwoodsChick

Fowl play will 🐝 encouraged 🐥🐔
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2021
UP Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I lost my first chicken to a predator today. I free range and accept the risks of doing so, but it’s hard nonetheless. I found her at the edge of the woods near a steep hill, no head and a denuded wing. I assume raccoon even though I’ve never seen one.
Everyone else is ok- I thought it was odd the flock didn’t greet me, now I know why. They are on lockdown for a couple of weeks at least.
IMG_3680.jpeg
IMG_3025.jpeg

Ritzie was my first ever hatch. She loved cuddles and was my shadow. 20 weeks old and just starting to explore nesting boxes.
I’m going to miss her dearly.

If you don't want to keep your chickens behind electric fencing, put poison out. The raccoon will be back. If you can locate his trail, put poison there. If not, lock the girls up and put the poison near the chicken coop. I have used Fly Bait. I use it because it is fast. The victim loves it, eats it, gets tired and falls asleep. Never wakes up.

I lost my first chicken to a predator today. I free range and accept the risks of doing so, but it’s hard nonetheless. I found her at the edge of the woods near a steep hill, no head and a denuded wing. I assume raccoon even though I’ve never seen one.
Everyone else is ok- I thought it was odd the flock didn’t greet me, now I know why. They are on lockdown for a couple of weeks at least.
IMG_3680.jpeg
IMG_3025.jpeg

Ritzie was my first ever hatch. She loved cuddles and was my shadow. 20 weeks old and just starting to explore nesting boxes.
I’m going to miss her dearly.
So sorry for your loss. :hugs

If you don't want to keep your chickens behind electric fencing, put poison out. The raccoon will be back. If you can locate his trail, put poison there. If not, lock the girls up and put the poison near the chicken coop. I have used Fly Bait. I use it because it is fast. The victim loves it, eats it, gets tired and falls asleep. Never wakes up.
that is an awful idea, and my guess would be highly illegal. plus you can not control what will eat that poison and what eats said animal that is affected by that poison.

to OP, the raccoon will back, i would highly recommend either using a cage trap or a Duke DP coon trap, (depending on how you like to trap) and dispatch said critter.

Back
Top Bottom