I know I need feeders, waters, ECT.... But

mowin

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 17, 2018
Upstate NY
In May, I'll be taking possession of 6 Buff Orps that will be about 8 weeks old. Last chickens I had were 30+ yrs ago.

Obviously I'll need feeders, a waterer. But what else?

My coop will be a walk in, 48 sqf. Run will be around 70 sqf. What feeders, waters work best for my coop/run size?

What nutrients are needed for the chicks.
When they get older, will the type of feeders/waters change?

Obviously the nutritional needs will change as they get to laying age, but will the equipment change?

The equipment you need shouldn't change between 8 weeks and laying age; I'd start with two full-size waterers (1-2 gallons) and 1-2 feeder (approximately same sized). Start with chick feed when you get them, and keep them on that until you get an egg. At that point, you can switch them to layer feed. They shouldn't need any supplemental nutrients when they're young, but once they're laying it might be a good idea to provide them some oyster shell on the side. The only reason I can think that your equipment might need to change would be if it breaks or your birds demonstrate that they can't share just 1/2 feeders (if, for example, one or two can never get access to the food because high pecking-order birds keep it from them).

The only other thing would be if they need any supplemental heat- they shouldn't at 8 weeks, so long as they're fully feathered, but if they had it where they're coming from and it'll still be cold there in May it may be something to consider.

Good luck with your future chickens! :)

The equipment you need shouldn't change between 8 weeks and laying age; I'd start with two full-size waterers (1-2 gallons) and 1-2 feeder (approximately same sized). Start with chick feed when you get them, and keep them on that until you get an egg. At that point, you can switch them to layer feed. They shouldn't need any supplemental nutrients when they're young, but once they're laying it might be a good idea to provide them some oyster shell on the side. The only reason I can think that your equipment might need to change would be if it breaks or your birds demonstrate that they can't share just 1/2 feeders (if, for example, one or two can never get access to the food because high pecking-order birds keep it from them).

The only other thing would be if they need any supplemental heat- they shouldn't at 8 weeks, so long as they're fully feathered, but if they had it where they're coming from and it'll still be cold there in May it may be something to consider.

You really shouldn’t provide oyster shell if you use a layer feed. I provide oyster shell if I use all flock. I suggest using all flock with oyster shell if you don’t have a feed mill that can make you a layer ration with more than 16% protein.

Just about any feeder/waterer will work. You can go with hanging feeders to reduce waste, or treadle feeders to keep out rodents, or just go with the generic feeder they sell at TSC. I use a rubber pan.

You can use a bucket, a heated waterer to prevent freezing, a nipple waterer to keep your water fresh and clean, or a generic galvanised-steel waterer. I use a two-gallon bucket.

You can feed chick feed until they begin to lay and then switch to layer, or you can use allflock and provide calcium on the side.

Roost and nesting boxes, obviously, though you might not want to install/allow access to the nesting boxes until they're old enough to lay in them. Chicks like to climb in them and poop.

How acclimated are your chickens to the cold? If they've been sitting in a warm house for the past eight weeks, and are about to be put out in below-freezing, you might want to think about a heat lamp, and definitely install a huddle-box (basically, a smaller box on its side, full of dry bedding for them to climb into and huddle together) until they acclimate.

You really shouldn’t provide oyster shell if you use a layer feed. I provide oyster shell if I use all flock. I suggest using all flock with oyster shell if you don’t have a feed mill that can make you a layer ration with more than 16% protein.

Ok. I think I get what you're saying.

If I only have the younger chicks, just starting to lay, layer without oyster shell is preferred.

If I introduce younger gals with my layers, a whole flock with oyster shell would be best???

Oops, I maybe spoke too soon. My flock free ranges, and so they don't eat just layer feed- as such, I'm not always sure if they're getting enough calcium, so I set out oyster shell free choice. But @A_Fowl_Guy is right- it's probably not necessary if all they're eating is the layer feed. If you see weak eggshells once they're laying consistently, though, then it's not a bad idea to set some out.

Oops, I maybe spoke too soon. My flock free ranges, and so they don't eat just layer feed- as such, I'm not always sure if they're getting enough calcium, so I set out oyster shell free choice. But @A_Fowl_Guy is right- it's probably not necessary if all they're eating is the layer feed. If you see weak eggshells once they're laying consistently, though, then it's not a bad idea to set some out.

Mine free range too. I just bought 150# of feed today so I’m set for the month. I don’t use the oyster shell because of the specially formulated layer ration. I’m too afraid of calcium deposits to put any out because then I can’t sell them.

Mine free range too. I just bought 150# of feed today so I’m set for the month. I don’t use the oyster shell because of the specially formulated layer ration. I’m too afraid of calcium deposits to put any out because then I can’t sell them.
Why can't you sell the eggs that have calcium deposits on them? Just aesthetics?

Back
Top Bottom