I lost my flock today. What kind of predator?

Pics

mcclucker

Songster
Jul 2, 2016
VT
My Coop
My Coop
bodies everywhere. Broken necks, lots of feathers everywhere, but very little blood. I couldn’t tell how it got into the fenced yard. No torn fencing, no holes. Fence was 4’ wire.

Two flew out and escaped, 11 dead. I’m in northern New England bordering a forested area. Fischer? Weasel? Some of the had gnaw marks on the belly and missing feathers but only one had blood.

It didn’t even take any to eat!! They are all accounted for. Ages from 2 years to 3 months

How absolutely heartbreaking! I am so sorry!
It sure does sound like dogs. They come in and wreak havoc, just for the fun of the chase. As soon as the target dies, it stops moving, so it's not fun anymore, so they go after a new one. A four foot fence is nothing to most dogs big enough to kill a chicken. Even my old poodle mix - who wouldn't hurt a fly - could jump a four foot fence in his prime. Can you set up a camera to see if your culprits come back? And please, make sure your remaining two biddies have a safe, covered run, now.

So sorry to hear you've lost your flock. That's heartbreaking.
My friend who lives in Utah lost her entire flock in two nights. The birds were killed, but not eaten. She said it looked like they'd been drained of blood. I can't recall exactly what she said did it, but it was mink or weasel. They managed to trap and kill it, but of course, she had no flock left at that point.

Back
Top Bottom