I LOVE GEESE

chickschool

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2011
Traverse City, MI
I recently received my first goose and OMG!!! They are amazing. Totally different from chickens or ducks. That being said…can anyone tell me how to pronounce Sebastopol?

Ugg, that's what someone else pointed out and I wondered about that too. I got her from a friend who has a few different breeds. Oh well, she is amazing no matter what breed/mix she turns out to be. I am definitely a goose person now!

Them little darlings put a huge mark in your heart for the love and trust they put in us!!!!!! That is why I always like to take the goslings from the parents for the first two weeks to humanize them. Plus I love baby goslings to cuddle with.
wink.png

Them little darlings put a huge mark in your heart for the love and trust they put in us!!!!!! That is why I always like to take the goslings from the parents for the first two weeks to humanize them. Plus I love baby goslings to cuddle with.
wink.png
The cuddling is the best part! What amazing little creatures they are.

I completely agree. We didn't get ours until she was three days old and in less than 24 hours she was all about us (my husband in particular). I would love to raise one from the moment they hatch out of the egg. I ended up having to hatch a chick out of he egg last year. Mama wouldn't take it back so it spent the first 3 months of its life with me and my family. In our home! Turned out to be a rooster and has totally turned into a complete punk! He is very sweet but when I try to enter the run he has to do his little "dance". It is completely annoying! I can't wait until Lucy (our goose) can take him down a notch!

I too, just started with geese. I got pilgrim geese. Bonnie and Clyde.

I put a diaper on Bonnie and brought her to my work for a waddle...she is a month and a half old. I work in a call center for a large phone company and our center manager asked me the next day when I would bring her in again, because he wanted to get a better picture than the iPhone one. THEN he asked if she could be the office MASCOT!! Lol. I said I have two, but only one diaper that will fit them right now. (they grew larger faster than I thought.)

They come towards me, wee wee-ing with their necks thrusted out in greeting. My Clyde loves to chew hair, and the girl loves to chew Clyde's back.
Bonnie has angel wing, so I had to bind it, and i was NOT looking forward to this. In the kitchen with my daughter helping move her around what I was trying to do, I took horse tape (purple~!) and first wrapped her wing, then under her belly and over her back. She just calmly SAT there, even when my daughter lifted her up on each side slightly so as not to upset her. I was amazed at how good she was.

I am totally in love with them. I waited 3 years to get them, as I was used to ducks and didn't want aggressive geese. I wish I had done this before. Bonnie is just now finding her honker, and she was exhaling with a bit of wee-wee and a bit of honk...too funny.

Oh, and here in Sonoma county we have a Sebastopol....the city. It is pronounced Seh-BASS-ta-pole. Quirky little town, with antique stores and wholesome type people. Just went there today, in fact. Ate at Papa's and Pollo...the best semi-mexican place...they use stuff from the local farmers market, who could ask for more local?

Back
Top Bottom