I Made a Bucket Trap

When we owned our 'camp' up north, we would leave the cottage with a bucket trap til we got back. Only we used a pop can smeared with peanut butter--not a paper plate. It works great!

Bucket traps works great and no resetting of spring loaded traps that don't work all the time but still wake you up in the middle of the night when they go off. I used to use pellet poison until I found it stashed all over the place (under and between stuff in the garage, in the wood pile, etc). With free range chickens and dogs, bucket traps are alot safer.

I knew someone who used bucket traps and they were basically free and definitely cut down on the mouse population. The only thing that would bother me would be would be finding the...uh...mice.
ep.gif

I have done this in my garage! Very effective...I didnt even know it was a design...I just thought it might work. But the problem is then you have to figure out a way to kill the mice....bb gun or drowning works.
smile.png

If you don't want to put water in the bucket to automaticly drown the mice, you could just take them alive to a local pet shop and let them have them for snake food....who knows, they might even give you something for your chickens in return....
tongue.png

here are pictures of a bucket trap

http://www.4dotranch.com/MT/index.html

and directions to make one

BUCKET MOUSE TRAP

To build the mouse trap, you will need the following things:
1 wire coat hanger.
1 can of tomato soup.
Some fine wire to hold the bait (raw bacon)
A three foot board, 2" or 3" wide (ramp)
A five gallon plastic bucket.
Two gallons of soapy water. ( in the winter use car window washer solution )

To make the trap, drill a 1/8" hole in the center of the top and bottom of the tomato soup can. Put the can in some hot water to get the soup out through the holes. Put the wire hanger through the can and bend the ends so the can will hang three or four inches down in the bucket. Wrap the bacon around the can and hold in place with the wire. Put water in the bucket and set up the ramp.

The mice will run up the ramp, see the bacon and jump on the can, the can will spin over and drop the mouse in the water. Try it, it works great!

If the trap is to set for any length of time you can keep the smell down by pouring a cup of cooking oil on top of the water in the bucket when you set the trap out.

picture of bucket can

http://byteshuffler.com/rospo/blog/uploaded_images/BucketMouseTrap-789229.jpg

all this great stuff via google

ml

I use the bucket trap with the pop-can-smeared-with-peanut-butter thing too. Works GREAT. Especially right before winter sets in, as mice try to move into garages, campers, pole barns, etc.

I seriously doubt the pet shops would take live caught mice for snake food because of the risk of disease.

Plus, domestic mice are that - domesticated to be tame and easy to work with. Wild mice are definately NOT.

We had a little silver pet mouse once in a wire cage with bars. We had her for months - no problem. Then one day I went in there to check and she had a litter of little brown babies. No doubt cassanova mouse had found his way into the house and then through the bars of the cage to 'visit' her...

She was the sweetest and tamest little mouse but those babies...dang they were fiesty from the get go.

Anyway, I digress...

I vote BB gun if you find any that don't succumb to the water in the trap...

Back
Top Bottom