I made a new brooder prototype. Gonna make some nicer looking ones and start selling them :)

Brooder:
1. needs at least 2 solid sides bc baby chicks need to have a draft-free zone. We use a solid sided brooder, only top is wire lids. In cold weather, we cover the heat plate side with an old towel at night, or if using a heat lamp, towel goes over other side from the lamp. Our brooder is in an unheated barn. Plus, with solid sides they freak out less.

2. The lids go down, but need some cutouts to place a cord and not have it lift the lid.

3. Size: once they are 2+ weeks old, any water or food will be full of bedding or poop. Extending it for food water….OR building it so there are side mounted feed and water options (like pvc ones) would be needed so the brooder can age well with the chicks as they grow.

4. Lid stability: something will push that mesh in … in my world that would be kid/teen that puts the 7lb feeder on it…then piles on a few other things bc it’s a flat surface (soon to be pushed in).
Ty for your suggestions. I’m using this personally inside my home (no draft). Their food and water is suspended now to prevent the shavings getting in and I have built them a perch.

I'm a know nothing still but here's the brooding box I built in a couple hours the day we brought home our chicks from TSC and realized a plastic storage bin just wasn't going to work.

Made from Boral and a little CYP so almost indestructible as far as weather goes.

Dimensions were 14" x 2' x 4'.

We had 6 chicks in there and it was quite roomy but I don't think I'd try to put more than that in there.

20220710_185318.jpg
20220709_181637.jpg

I'm a know nothing still but here's the brooding box I built in a couple hours the day we brought home our chicks from TSC and realized a plastic storage bin just wasn't going to work.

Made from Boral and a little CYP so almost indestructible as far as weather goes.

Dimensions were 14" x 2' x 4'.

We had 6 chicks in there and it was quite roomy but I don't think I'd try to put more than that in there.

View attachment 3289459View attachment 3289461
That’s really pretty! It looks so sturdy, too!

Back
Top Bottom