I mustn't succumb to chicken math this time!

Book

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2012
Maryland
Just a military wife, mom of many, with my hands full homeschooling littles!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Years ago we lived out in the country and had chickens. A few turned into many and quickly chicken math had us with about 100 birds at one point! It was a fantastic adventure! The military moved us away though and we had to rehome them all. It has been what feels like forever since we had chickens. We are super excited about having them again!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We currently have 8 chicks, we hope are all hens as 8 is our county limit for our lot size and we are not allowed roosters! This is why I mustn't succumb to chicken math this time!

(3) What breeds do you have?

With covid-19 rocking the world it isn't shocking that chicks, like toilet paper, are hard to come by right now! I sent husband into a feed store after waiting weeks to hear of their next delivery to get what he could get! Still waiting for them to grow up more so we can be sure but I think we have 4 different kinds.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I want to say eggs.... you see I am allergic to most eggs, not deathly mind you, but my body doesn't tend to tolerate them well. Only some field ranged organic ones don't cause me to be ill. So when we had our field raised flock, I very much loved their eggs. We can't free range this time though so I need to find them a feed that hopefully I have no reaction to. Open to suggestions! (I am allergic to some anti-biotics and I wonder if that is the issue in some feed?) A huge part of this for us though is chicken therapy. There is just something about sitting out in the evenings before the sun goes dark watching and interacting with the flock.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

We are a household of geeks who love nature. We do a lot of gaming but also time outside! We are thrilled to be able to garden again. Fishing (when not on stay-at-home for the virus). We homeschool and love science experiments. I also am rather crafty. If we can do/fix something ourselves we will. Even if we can't chances are we think we can and will at least fail before calling in a professional. LOL

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Husband and I have been married over 2 decades now, we have 7 children, 4 whom still live at home and our oldest is off in the world married now herself. Our youngest is just 4 years old. We are done with babies but looking forward to being grandparents some day! We have a dog, 2 cats, 2 snakes, 2 bunnies, 1 bearded dragon. One of our daughters thinks we need a parrot! I am not sure about that one. LOL

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
I think I found this site 7 years ago and I loved it right away. It is so wonderful to be back! I can't recall how I found it though, thankful that I did!

Back
Top Bottom