I need a cheap coop

chickmama320

Songster
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Back Swamp NC
I have 3 chickens (one is a rooster) and I need to get them into a coop. Problem is, I really have no money right now. Hubby and I are struggling pretty bad right now. Can anyone give me any ideas on what I can make for this guys? I live in eastern NC. I need to have coverage from rain. However, I don't really need to have it that insulated for the winter I don't think.

Last edited:
Check on your local CL. You might be able to find something for free or very cheap. If you can't find anything you can always post an ad stating what you are looking for. Good luck

We just bought some chicken wire netting and used some old 2x4s to make a 4x8x4 portable run. The netting was 50' for $35, but they sell it in 25' also--we used abt 35'. The girls free-range during the day (fenced yard). We did buy a staple gun ($20) to attach the netting to the frame, but perhaps you could borrow a staple gun from a friend.
We stuck a 6' long 1" tomato stake through the netting from side to side to make a perch. It's a little bouncy, but six of them sleep there every night just fine. We'll need to make a warm coop for Winter (it snows here), but for the Summer we've been fine. And it really doesn't look that bad. For the rain, you could secure a tarp onto one end.
We're going to make a better door, but for now, we use springs and some clip things (I don't know what you call them) to close the loose edge of the netting. We also thread through some thin stakes to really secure the opening at night, and set big rocks along the bottom edge of the open part of the wire. (I don't want to take any chances when it comes to raccoons.)
The door part needs some improving, but apart from that, it really doesn't look too back.
Best wishes.

How about pallets -- they can be had for free. Use them as a frame. Gather free materials from Craigslist -- corrugated tin, plywood, shingles, hardware cloth, decking. Do you have a Habitat for Humanity Resale Shop in your area? For that matter -- when's trash night? Do you know anyone who is getting rid of a dog house, a playhouse or a swingset? All of these can be converted into a coop.

Good luck let us know what creative solution you come up with.

Jenny

I have seen some amazing coops built from pallets. Check out the coop page here, you'll be amazed at what you can do with those things and a lot of places will give them to you free just to not have to dispose of them. With only 3 birds to house, you could also probably get by with a big doghouse if you can find one of those free or cheap on CL. Doesn't take a fortune to make a chicken happy.
big_smile.png

ETA: Miss Jenny and I were typing at the same time. GMTA I guess.
lol.png

Last edited:
Place an ad on Craigslist...something like:

I will come tear down or remove old lumbar, fencing, gates, tin...SMALL projects only please...this way your not stuck with a huge project you cant do...kind of like a removal cleaning, and you get the goodies.

my coop is made out of old left over hurricane ike fence, that belonged to the city here, we went around and picked it up..my coops door is a fence gate with the hinges to lock my babies in...my kennel of course we had and hadnt used it in 1 1/2yrs... I just paid for nails and chicken wire.....so if for a run...you can for now make it out of pallets.

Im telling you, you will be surprised what people throw away~~~or give away that is very nice and FREE...like this ad:
http://austin.craigslist.org/zip/1371938612.html for free lumbar, you can do it!!!!

Heres my coop:
36033_perches.jpg

When you do a search on CL...type in EVERYHING!!!...dog house, dog kennels, sheds, play house, storage building, storage boxes, pallets,lumbar, fence, gates, chain link....it all depends on how they word the ad so be creative on typing in what you can think of...good luck...IT CAN BE DONE~~~~

I FAILED TO MENTION at the present time, my neighbor threw away his 10x10 kennel, it had a torn the size of two footballs on the bottom and its one of those chain linked fence, not the panels that are easier to put up. You have to fight with the chain link once you get the frame up, and he didnt have some of the hardware for it. We asked if we could have it, and pulled it to our yard...we live in the country. Its not in the best of shape, but Hey I threw my old dog house in there, placed it up on some crates to get it off the ground, put a chicken wire on the top and all around the bottom, and tarps. It works until DH can fix it up good and put a coop

Last edited:
Good Morning I am a firm believer in the reuse junk theory. Talk to some one at Home Depot about old tile crates you can usually have them for free they throw them away , if you only have a few chickens you can plywood it in with misc. lumber and even stack it on top of old pallets to get it up off the ground makes a great house. We screen them in and use them for chicks.

We made our run for free out of pallet lumber, scrap lumber, scrap landscaping timbers and old hardware cloth and old chicken wire.:
DSCF4236a.JPG

If you want to see more of the coop itself look at my BYC page (Link to the left)

Back
Top Bottom