I need a recipe for Buttercream Icing that can be piped

Rhett&SarahsMom

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
One that you all have made and used.
My daughters birthday party is coming up and I want to get this down and figured out before I make it and potentially destroy the cupcakes:/
roll.png

My buttercream frosting recipe.

I have never piped it before, but I am sure that you could.

1/2 cup butter... I use light margarine
4 1/2 c confectioners sugar
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
5 to 6 tablespoons milk

In large bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy, beat in sugar and vanilla; add enough milk to achieve desired consistency

You can also make chocolate using same recipe with 4 c confectioners sugar, 1/2 c cocoa and 6-7 t milk

or peanut butter by replacing the butter with 1/2 c peanut butter and uing 6-8 t milk

I used to decorate cakes. If the recipe doesn't want to hold up to piping, add some more powdered sugar to thicken it. This is what I used all the time.

I'm so glad you posted this question, I have the same need. I'm making a carousel cake for my daughter's birthday and I need some that I can decorate the animal's with.

5546_carousel.jpg

if i remember correctly on of the secrets to piping buttercream is to keep it cold. Refrigerate it for a while before you use it and put it back in after every time you need to fill the bag. Good luck, I dont make buttercream because my family thinks its to sweet.

I decorated cakes at a local grocery store for years and our trick was to decorate while the cake was still cool from coming out of the freezer. Our frosting was kept at room temp, that is what worked for us. Seemed easier to work with when it wasn't too cold.

Also, if your frosting is too thick to pipe, add a few drops of boiling water, mix, add more until you get desired consistency.

Back
Top Bottom