I need advice, suggestions, and Help

Pics

Redsoxgirl

Chirping
Aug 28, 2017
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Hi everyone I need some serious help. The photo above is the coop that my 6 (rescued) hens are in. I've had them for 2-3 weeks (they're less than a year old or close to a year old) but they haven't layed any eggs at all. I think it's because they aren't getting enough (vitamin D) sunlight. The coop is in the sunniest area in my yard, but they aren't getting the 14-16 hours of sunlight they need. I think I need to get a light for them, I don't know what kind of lighting system I should get for them & where it should go in or out of the coop. My girls spend their time in the bottom area of my coop, or in my garden with me. They go up top to roost at dusk... I need some advise on what lighting set I should get for them so their safe, & getting the light they need. Please help? Thank you : )

View attachment 1130159 View attachment 1130159
Hi everyone I need some serious help. The photo above is the coop that my 6 (rescued) hens are in. I've had them for 2-3 weeks (they're less than a year old or close to a year old) but they haven't layed any eggs at all. I think it's because they aren't getting enough (vitamin D) sunlight. The coop is in the sunniest area in my yard, but they aren't getting the 14-16 hours of sunlight they need. I think I need to get a light for them, I don't know what kind of lighting system I should get for them & where it should go in or out of the coop. My girls spend their time in the bottom area of my coop, or in my garden with me. They go up top to roost at dusk... I need some advise on what lighting set I should get for them so their safe, & getting the light they need. Please help? Thank you : )
What breed do you have?

That coop is incredibly small for 6 hens, and I hope they are only in that at night to sleep. I know the box says it's made for xxx hens, but that really is incorrect, and it's a shame that the coop manufactureres get away with that kind of mass disinformation.

Anyway, this isn't really egg-laying time of year so you shouldn't try to force eggs out of them with artificial light unless you relish the thought of death by ovarian cancer. (I know you don't, that is just the consequence of excessive ovulation that kills the vast majority of all laying hens.)

It's good for them to NOT lay because laying eggs incessantly takes a huge toll on their bodies and eventually precipitates reproductive disease that kills them. You will wish they never laid at all when you're holding their little dying bodies in your arms and watching them gasp their last painful breaths in the final stages of ovarian cancer.

I've had some breeds not lay till about a year.

The pics of yours seem like they're about ready, judging from the bright red combs and face.

Mine have slowed tremendously because of molting. Theylll pick back up again, eventually.

Some breeds just don't lay as much or as frequently as as others.

Hang in there, waiting for that first egg is agonizing!!

That coop is incredibly small for 6 hens, and I hope they are only in that at night to sleep. I know the box says it's made for xxx hens, but that really is incorrect, and it's a shame that the coop manufactureres get away with that kind of mass disinformation.

Anyway, this isn't really egg-laying time of year so you shouldn't try to force eggs out of them with artificial light unless you relish the thought of death by ovarian cancer. (I know you don't, that is just the consequence of excessive ovulation that kills the vast majority of all laying hens.)

It's good for them to NOT lay because laying eggs incessantly takes a huge toll on their bodies and eventually precipitates reproductive disease that kills them. You will wish they never laid at all when you're holding their little dying bodies in your arms and watching them gasp their last painful breaths in the final stages of ovarian cancer.

Please provide a scientific study to back up your statements about supplemental lighting being the cause of ovarian cancer, and the cause of the death of the vast majority of laying hens.

Last statement, seriously??????

Agreed, coop is too small. Recommendation for BYF is for minimum of 4 s.f. in coop and 10 s.f. in run per bird.

Unfortunately it was all I could afford & I Was told it was large enough for my hens. Should I be concerned about them being egg bound? I love my girls, and I wouldn't want to hurt them in any way at all. I'm not trying to force them to lay eggs, I just know they need more sunlight. I'm just afraid because I'm new to owning chickens & I want to make sure I'm doing the best I can for them.

Please provide a scientific study to back up your statements about supplemental lighting being the cause of ovarian cancer, and the cause of the death of the vast majority of laying hens.

Agreed, coop is too small. Recommendation for BYF is for minimum of 4 s.f. in coop and 10 s.f. in run per bird.
What breed do you have?
Americana & fancy

I'm not trying to hurt them, I just know they aren't getting enough sunlight.

I've had some breeds not lay till about a year.

The pics of yours seem like they're about ready, judging from the bright red combs and face.

Mine have slowed tremendously because of molting. Theylll pick back up again, eventually.

Some breeds just don't lay as much or as frequently as as others.

Hang in there, waiting for that first egg is agonizing!!
I hope they do lay a few eggs, then I'll probably relax...I want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong or have my inexperience as chicken owner cause them harm.

Back
Top Bottom