I need advice, suggestions, and Help

Pics
I think my hen buried it, I didn't see anything! So I think I'm going to have to search for eggs everyday. At least until the others start laying too.

It can take some time for hens to be adjusted to their new surroundings--2-3 weeks is not at all long--- at this time of year. And yes, too crowded in that small pen, so outside time is important. Be patient instead of upsetting their normal feed and pasture with additions that are simply not necessary. Don't mean to scold, but "someone told me" is the worst kind of starter information. Someone? Who? There are good books on starting with chickens and libraries have them. Browse and see what fits your place. Websites are full of misinformation. You have to check it all for what you need. So be patient, just feed and water your hens and when Mother Nature says "lay", they will start (even if it is tomorrow OR Thanksgiving or Christmas)-that is what hens do--naturally and when they are "ready" ---and it will be exciting! Good luck

It can take some time for hens to be adjusted to their new surroundings--2-3 weeks is not at all long--- at this time of year. And yes, too crowded in that small pen, so outside time is important. Be patient instead of upsetting their normal feed and pasture with additions that are simply not necessary. Don't mean to scold, but "someone told me" is the worst kind of starter information. Someone? Who? There are good books on starting with chickens and libraries have them. Browse and see what fits your place. Websites are full of misinformation. You have to check it all for what you need. So be patient, just feed and water your hens and when Mother Nature says "lay", they will start (even if it is tomorrow OR Thanksgiving or Christmas)-that is what hens do--naturally and when they are "ready" ---and it will be exciting! Good luck
Thank you so much : ) I know I have a lot to learn, I was more afraid something may have been wrong with their health. I joined backyard chickens so I could ask people who have chickens advise, recommendations, suggestions and help. So far, everyone has been amazing! : )

Re-reading your first post, I have 2 more thoughts on your coop and lighting questions. For winter you could get some clear shower curtains from the Dollar Store and staple them around the outside of the original coop/run combo [instead of enclosing with wood orOSB] leaving afew inch gap at he bottom and top. You would be creating a little greenhouse type area protected from snow where you can keep their feeder and water. The plastic has the advantage of letting light in. You can do the same with 2 or 3 sides of the run and they will come out in even the coldest weather if they are protected from the worst winds.

Chickens need to see to be able to eat. For that reason and because my coop lacked enough windows I put a LED light[not a heat lamp] in there for 12 hours a day so they would use their feeder inside during bad weather. [I would give any treats or scratch outside to encourage activity and and get a good look at them daily. ] A few more hours per day would be needed to maintain maximum egg production which I did not need or want. I hoped to give them some kind of 'natural' rest. Their first winter they still produced about half as many eggs as in summer.

Please provide a scientific study to back up your statements about supplemental lighting being the cause of ovarian cancer, and the cause of the death of the vast majority of laying hens.

Last statement, seriously??????

Agreed, coop is too small. Recommendation for BYF is for minimum of 4 s.f. in coop and 10 s.f. in run per bird.

Hi! I didn't say that artificial lighting is the cause of ovarian cancer, but excessive laying sure is! There are literally hundreds of studies documenting the effects of excessive ovulation on domesticated laying hens (and on humans!) and its incredibly strong link to ovarian cancer. Here are links to just a few of them. If you like inducing cancer in your hens, then go right ahead and ramp up the artificial lighting in order to keep forcing them to ovulate nonstop!

https://academic.oup.com/jnci/artic...ormonal-Etiology-of-Epithelial-Ovarian-Cancer
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22135044
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4924577/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3273612/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3987381/

Thank you for taking the time to back up your claims. I will still stand by my choice to provide supplemental lighting after a fall rest period. It comes down to an individual choice to feed an aging population of birds who are not producing vs. providing supplemental lighting (especially in the north) and continuing to roll over my population of birds to maintain a "youngish" flock. Chickens? Are they pets? Or are they livestock? Individual choice, and neither choice is wrong.

Congratulations on your first egg. They are settling in and starting to lay so now you can calm down just a bit. Smile now.[/QU
Congratulations on your first egg. They are settling in and starting to lay so now you can calm down just a bit. Smile now.
thank you so much. I got my first dozen, and I'm trying to decide how I'd like to prepare them.

Back
Top Bottom