Thechickentrainer1999

Songster
5 Years
Jul 30, 2018
North Carolina
I have to get up very early in the morning and need an answer fast. One of my chickens is molting and the low tonight is 26F. Is that too cold for her to be in the coop. I have 8 others but she's not huddled up with them but instead to the left side with just one other chicken. She has most of her feathers but has some patches missing near the top back and front below neck. There is also quite a bit of wind out side and quite a bit of ventilation in the coop but as far as I know, no wind can really be felt inside.

I have a Delaware that's coming out of molt. 4 weeks ago, she was very very unhappy with a bare neck and bare butt. She roosts alone on the end of the coop and temps got down into the teens a couple of nights. She made it fine. Might give her some scratch an hour before dark so she has something to digest and keep her body temp up..

Most of the feathers will still conserve heat in her body. Not to mention, keeping enough chickens in the coop in proportion to its size (without drafts) will help maintain warmth in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom