I need help chicks are dying

They are silkie bantams. Tiny things. My dad has rir and leghorns. This is my first time with silkies. I have 6 2 year old rir. My old man incubates a couple hundred and thinks it's no big deal when you lose some but I don't have that many to lose

I ALWAYS grind the chick feed a little smaller for smaller chicks/bantams. The crumble seems a little to big for them. You might could use a blender or coffee grinder if you do not have a feed grinder---if you want to do this. Your feed might be finer than mine----At least Watch them close when they are eating and see if they are getting the food in/down without a problem..

Last edited:
I ALWAYS grind the chick feed a little smaller for smaller chicks/bantams. The crumble seems a little to big for them. You might could use a blender or coffee grinder if you do not have a feed grinder---if you want to do this. Your feed might be finer than mine----At least Watch them close when they are eating and see if they are getting the food in/down without a problem..

X2. This is extremely important with bantams. I always have to use the blender for starter food for my old English game bantam chicks which are tiny also. At least for the first week.

With the electric hen all I can do is raise and lower it. I have it set at a slight angle and as low as I could get it and them still go under. On the food I will grind some up for them. They seemed to be ok eating it but I don't want to take a chance. I lost 4 today.

Shipping stress combined with overheating is the most likely reason for the deaths. As for not being able to adjust the temp of the electric hen, that's why I prefer using a heating pad. Three settings, so that I can adjust based on the ambient temp of the room and the age of the chicks. And it only cost $13.

Back
Top Bottom