I need help immediately

Chickenlover0810

Songster
Sep 5, 2019
Michigan
ever since we have had chickens we could never have at least one healthy chicken, one would get sick and then die(or had to be culled), and then not even kidding within a week another one would be sick and die and over and over this has been non stop since we got chickens, I am getting quite fed up. the symptoms are
-eye bubling
-neck streching
-lethargy
-not coordinated (not being able to see right or find stuff with out help)
-in one instance one side of face was swollen

either I figure out what is going on or I am going to cull my ENTIRE flock and just take a break from everything
please I am desperate

ever since we have had chickens we could never have at least one healthy chicken, one would get sick and then die(or had to be culled), and then not even kidding within a week another one would be sick and die and over and over this has been non stop since we got chickens, I am getting quite fed up. the symptoms are
-eye bubling
-neck streching
-lethargy
-not coordinated (not being able to see right or find stuff with out help)
-in one instance one side of face was swollen

either I figure out what is going on or I am going to cull my ENTIRE flock and just take a break from everything
please I am desperate
Could it be gape worm? Do they stretch out their neck completely and then gasp? Any wheezing?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gapeworm

Do you have any pictures?

When did you get your birds? How many are there? Did you get them all from the same place, how long have you had them, and have you added any birds recently?

How big is the area they live in? Do they all exhibit the same exact symptoms before passing? Have you had an autopsy done (or done one yourself?)
we have some from 3 years ago then around 2 years ago, we currently have 8,
we got the majority from farm stores one was a rescue(she was found wandering a neighborhood) and we got two other ones from a different farm but one of them was killed in an attack and the other was sudden death. we haven't added birds very recently the soonest was around 2 years ago. not exactly sure about the size but plenty big coop around maybe 8x8? and they have a nice big run prob 12 feet long, most of them did have the same symptoms, I don't remember some of the ones awhile ago I do remember that some of them would be I would notice that they would be lethargic and then I would quarantine them and then they would be dead the next morning I think 3 of them were the weird sudden deaths, never had the opportunity to do an autopsy(I try to stay far far away during the culling process)

It sounds as though there is a chronic respiratory disease running through your flock. It may have been brought in by one of the new additions over the years. Diseases can be dormant in a carrier for awhile and come out during periods of stress. Also some wild birds can carry mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, ILT or a couple of other diseases. Getting a necropsy by your state vet on any other death would get you an answer. Sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry that you've been having so much trouble.

I would send a bird to your state lab for a necropsy. Make sure to put the carcass in the fridge for storage, not the freezer.

Here is a list of labs and contact info by state.
Thread '🔴 State and NAHLN Laboratory List 🔴 [UNDER CONSTRUCTION]' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/🔴-state-and-nahln-laboratory-list-🔴-under-construction.1452695/
how much would it cost? I would send it to Michigan state. also would the bird have to die of natural causes or would it be fine If I brought in a culled bird

how much would it cost? I would send it to Michigan state. also would the bird have to die of natural causes or would it be fine If I brought in a culled bird
Call the number given (in the link I posted) for your state lab and ask. It is different in every state. My lab used to be free, but now charges $45.

You can take in a culled bird.

Back
Top Bottom