I NEED HELP QUICK!

Yeah, it hasn't eaten a thing since I had it Saturday or possibly earlier. Here's the question though. What should I be feeding it to keep it somewhat healthy till I can find all this stuff? I don't recall tractor supply have this when I went to get the corid.

If it takes a day or two to ship this stuff in will it be to late? I have a syringe, but not long enough to shove it down it's throat that far. Should I be mashing chick food up with water and feeding it that?

Petsmart and Petco have baby bird food, any vet will have tubes and syringes and Target or Walmart have scales. I don't think you time to order stuff... You can also try feeding it crickets, but water is most important, IMHO.

The closest pet store is a 45 min trip one way. I'll try watering down some chick food and mashing it up to feed it until I can get a day to get up there.

I can get out to the vet today for tubes and syringes.

Last edited:
I wanted to give an update on my baby chick for all those wondering. I also have a few more questions.

Sunday night I got Corid to mix with it's water, and have been feeding it with a syringe. I was feeding it both sugar water, and the corid water.

Monday I bought some dried worms at TSC and stuck them down it's beak and flushed them down with corid water.

Today when I got home from work the chick seemed about the same, not moving, eating or drinking... except there was poop on the floor of the coop for the 1st time since Saturday. I hope that's a good sign. It just lays there with it's eyes closed.

About an hour ago I got Kaytee Exact Baby Bird Formula. I fed it 2 or 3 Ml's of that, along with some more corid water. I didn't weight the bird, but assume it's right around 2 or 3 ounces. So I've been trying to get it about 3 ml's of water every 6 hours.

Now for a few more questions I have.
1. How do I know the food formula is going down the stomach pipe, and not the wind pipe? (I'm scared water is going down both pipes because of how much the chick fights when I'm putting it down) Should I be aiming one way or the other when I shoot water in it's beak?

2. How far down it's mouth should I be putting the syringe? It seems like the further down it goes, the easier and faster I can empty my 1ml syringe down it's beak.

3. How do I know when it's crop is full, so that I do not over feed it? I've read to give it 10% of it's body weight... is that per day, per 8 hours, or what?

4. When I go to feed it and water it, is there any special order I should be doing it in? I've been doing 1 ml of water 1st, then 2 ml's of food, and than 1ml of water to wash it down.

For the first question the anser is that animals have a little flap like thing over the tube that goes to the lungs and it only opens when they breath so I would think that it would go down the tummy pipe. Also if it went in to the lungs in about 1 minute it would die, and it would cough it up first if it went in the wind pipe

I cannot give you *any* advice on feeding without a tube, it's just too dangerous, IMHO, so just study theses pictures...

Here are some pictures and text/notes from a worming thread of mine:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/745210/how-to-safely-worm-your-peafowl-orally

From:http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm
The hole at the back of the tongue is the trachea - Nothing should ever go in there!

• Catch and weigh your bird.

• Open mouth and wait for bird to relax.

• Insert syringe - I like to insert from left to right, across the tongue, behind the trachea, into the esophagus. Again, wait for the bird to relax.

• Give wormer

Last edited:
For the first question the anser is that animals have a little flap like thing over the tube that goes to the lungs and it only opens when they breath so I would think that it would go down the tummy pipe. Also if it went in to the lungs in about 1 minute it would die, and it would cough it up first if it went in the wind pipe
Birds do not have a flap, so the food must be given well past the opening to the trachea or aspiration is likely to occur. See pictures in previous post.

I will add one more comment... When tube feeding the small ones, I put enough in so that I can feel a slight bulge in their crop. Once the crop clears, I do it again.

Back
Top Bottom