I need help understanding when my royal palm Tom turkey mates with my red bourbon hen and has baby Turks what will they come out as??????

ColeTrain425

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2023
I need help you guys I am a new turkey owner and wanting to raise them! I have a royal palm Tom and a red bourbon hen. I’ve read several articles, but I’m not completely understanding! My question is , what will the babies come out to be from my royal palm tom and red bourbon hen?

Attachments

• 12D3DB60-E755-4C6D-8004-EBA981901873.jpeg
    12D3DB60-E755-4C6D-8004-EBA981901873.jpeg
    822.1 KB · Views: 118
I need help you guys I am a new turkey owner and wanting to raise them! I have a royal palm Tom and a red bourbon hen. I’ve read several articles, but I’m not completely understanding! My question is , what will the babies come out to be from my royal palm tom and red bourbon hen?
If they are both pure without any hidden recessive color genes:

Royal Palm tom (b1b1 cgcg nn RR)

Bourbon Red hen (bb CC N- rr)

will produce sex linked poults. All the female poults will be

Golden Narragansett (bb1 Ccg n- Rr)

all the male poults will be

Red Bronze (bb1 Ccg Nn Rr)

So how can you tell them apart when they’re young baby poults?

I'm assuming with a Bourbon Red hen and Royal Palm tom that
the female would be

and the male would be
Golden Narragansett (bb1 Ccg n- Rr)????

We lost our Royal Palm tom and I was thinking of getting a Bourbon Red. I'd love to have sex linked poults. Thank you!

I'm assuming with a Bourbon Red hen and Royal Palm tom that
the female would be

and the male would be
Golden Narragansett (bb1 Ccg n- Rr)????
You have it backwards. With a Royal Palm tom and a Bourbon Red hen the female poults will be Golden Narragansett (bb1 Ccg n- Rr) because the Narragansett gene is sex linked. The hens only get one Narragansett gene and only require the one Narragansett gene for the color to be displayed.

The males also only get one Narragansett gene but need 2 for the color to be displayed so the males will be the Red Bronze (bb1 Ccg Nn Rr).

We lost our Royal Palm tom and I was thinking of getting a Bourbon Red. I'd love to have sex linked poults.
There are only 2 color genes that are sex linked. The Narragansett gene (n) and the brown gene (e). It only works if the tom is the one that is homozygous for those color genes. If it is the hen, it doesn't work because the hen can only pass her sex linked color gene on to her male offspring.

Only the male can pass his sex linked color gene on to his female offspring..

Back
Top Bottom