I need help with bonding

rborin119

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2015
Cleveland, TN
I haven't had chicks since I was a child. I initially wanted two roosters only, however, when I went to pick up my baby boys, I was presented with an interesting situation. The only cockerel left of the breed I wanted (French Black Copper Maran) had bonded with a young ducking (mallard) of the same age. So, the man asked if I would be interested in that pair. He didn't want to separate them. I took them. They absolutely love each other. There are some issues I am working on. The duckling doesn't want to swim because he is separated from the chick. I can put the duckling in sink and put the chick on the counter and he will finally duck around in the water. This is because he can see the chick and he is close. I am going to start working on a pond for him tomorrow, and maybe this will solve this issue. With the pond being level with the ground, and the chick being visible, hopefully he will become a duck again.
That was a tangent. My real question is how to get them to bond with me. I believe I had unrealistic expectations and wanted them to love me immediately! I try to handle them a lot and spend a lot of time with them. They are fine when I hold them and every night I bring them in the house and lay with them and they will snuggle up to me. The chick even takes "dirt baths" on their blanket while I'm laying with them. But, anytime I go to get them they run from me and I have to chase them. Which I am sure scares them more. I never get in hot pursuit, but I usually just try to direct them back in to their pin. And they always go back to their pin. The Chick is 3 weeks I believe and the duck is 5 weeks-ish. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sounds like your doing good bonding to me! I try pretty much the same thing i have 2 chicjs about 5 weeks and initially they are afraid of me i try not to chase them to much more of a clean quick sweep(not always possble) but once i have ahold of them they seem to relax also i hold them side by side give them alittle more comfort being near eachother.

Back
Top Bottom