I need help with my new chicks

DisChickens

In the Brooder
May 16, 2023
Hello everyone,

I just got my chicks yesterday May 15th, 2023. I got them from Rural King, and they said they were Americanas. I don't know what Americanas look like, I'm sure I could look it up and I will but if anyone knows if they are, please help me. I also don't know what gender they are, if you have an idea or estimate please share. Thank you!
IMG20230516113330.jpg
IMG20230516113338.jpg
IMG20230516113438.jpg
IMG20230516113447.jpg
IMG20230516113544.jpg
IMG20230516113600.jpg
IMG20230516113829.jpg
IMG20230516113837.jpg
IMG20230516114009.jpg
IMG20230516114023.jpg
IMG20230516114419.jpg

IMG20230516114426.jpg

I have head pictures of them if needed. There should be six, two pictures of each.

You have Easter Eggers- some hatcheries call them Americana which is misleading as there's a pure breed called Ameraucana.

Yours have old-school Easter Eggers, muffs/beards and the classic Cleopatra eyeliner. Hard to say what their adult feathering will look like- but based on their current heads and feathers you'll likely get quite a few 'quail' patterns.

Great variety of chickens- they're loveable mutts.

You have Easter Eggers- some hatcheries call them Americana which is misleading as there's a pure breed called Ameraucana.

Your have old-school Easter Eggers, muffs/beards and the classic Cleopatra eyeliner. Hard to say what their adult feathering will look like- but based on their current heads and feathers you'll likely get quite a few 'quail' patterns.

Great variety of chickens- they're loveable mutts.
That's so annoying. Thank you for the help.

Pretty birds! You could always call the store and double check if they had them in a sexed / pullet bin. Doesn't guarantee they are actually all females, but it may put your mind at ease a little bit at least. I would suspect they were sold as sexed, rather than straight run.

Pretty birds! You could always call the store and double check if they had them in a sexed / pullet bin. Doesn't guarantee they are actually all females, but it may put your mind at ease a little bit at least. I would suspect they were sold as sexed, rather than straight run.
Ok I will definitely have to call them or go today again. Thank you.

Hello, and welcome to the BYC community!

The spelling of the breed is extremely important, because ameraucana is the actually purebred, whereas americana is a marketing tactic for Easter Egger hybrids or mixes.

To me they do look like ameraucanas, however I can’t tell for sure because I didn’t buy them or see the label at the store.

Ameraucanas (and typically Easter Eggers too) lay blue eggs. They will have muffs (fluffy cheeks) even when they grow up. Their necks will appear thicker because of the feathers. Ameraucanas have pea combs, and they (the combs) usually stay pretty small. The breed is very beautiful!

My profile pic is my ameraucana, but here’s a couple full pictures of her… 98C21DF7-40E3-4D32-BBE4-419616DAB1BC.jpeg DA2A9A59-9172-454B-BD4D-64E44E49FAC8.jpeg

Hello, and welcome to the BYC community!

The spelling of the breed is extremely important, because ameraucana is the actually purebred, whereas americana is a marketing tactic for Easter Egger hybrids or mixes.

To me they do look like ameraucanas, however I can’t tell for sure because I didn’t buy them or see the label at the store.

Ameraucanas (and typically Easter Eggers too) lay blue eggs. They will have muffs (fluffy cheeks) even when they grow up. Their necks will appear thicker because of the feathers. Ameraucanas have pea combs, and they (the combs) usually stay pretty small. The breed is very beautiful!

My profile pic is my ameraucana, but here’s a couple full pictures of her…View attachment 3507416View attachment 3507418
Wanted to share the breed standards for Ameracaunas- there are a couple of different organizations but the standard colors are the same: black, white, blue, blue wheaten, wheaten, brown red, buff and silver.

http://ameraucana.org/Ameraucana Photos
http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/standard.html

Based on breed standards, it looks like you have an Easter Egger as well. Clearly doesn't change that she's a pretty hen, or her blue eggs- it's a pure breed vs. hatchery breed detail.

Hatcheries really contribute to the confusion so it's hard to keep things straight!

Back
Top Bottom