I need help!

bigbilljax

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 19, 2012
Hello all, found you on the internet while trying to solve a problem.
I live in urban Jacksonville, FL, where you are really not supposed to keep chickens.
While I dont have any personally, I think the idea is pretty cool, and have thought about it.
Herein lies my issue. My neighbors behind me have chickens, as well as about 3 roosters. They are kept behind a shed and up against our fence in a pen.
The roosters are OBNOXIOUS! They crow nearly all night and through the day.
Several of the neighbors have spoken with them, and they just dont seem to care.
I do not want to involve the city, cause Im not like that, but I need some suggestions on how to keep the roosters quieter. They wake me up sometimes as early as 230 in the morning.
THANKS
BB

If my neighbour's illegal livestock was waking me up at 2.30am and they showed an uncaring attitude after I talked to them about it I wouldn't be as nice as you. I'd be calling the authorities.

If they are in a position to see movement, lights, or feel threatened, they will be noisy overnight. Perhaps you could talk your neighbors into giving them a night coop with 4 sturdy walls, floor and ceiling so they not only don't see light until it's much later, but also have muffled crows when they DO make noise. Maybe you could help them if they don't have the skills to build. Sometimes Craigslist.org has folks giving away sheds and the like. This would serve well.

If you give them an alternative solution and make them aware you're looking for an answer that doesn't involve calling the authorities on them, they may be willing to make this change.

Good luck!!

If my neighbour's illegal livestock was waking me up at 2.30am and they showed an uncaring attitude after I talked to them about it I wouldn't be as nice as you. I'd be calling the authorities.

Me too.
welcome-byc.gif

I wouldn't try to pacify your neighbors as it's obvious they don't really care what you or the other neighbors think. You could A) tell them directly that they either get rid of the roosters or you're calling the city, or B) just call the city and report them. Option A will solve the problem of the roosters, allow them to still keep chickens, and not make it difficult for you if you decide to have chickens. With option B, they don't have chickens and neither do you because they'll report you as soon as they find out.

Back
Top Bottom