i need help

MissyMoo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
we have 4 five week old chicks and 3 1 year old chickens. Can we put them all out side together?or will the older chickens attack the babies

It's been expressed that you get the newer additions in some type of caged area to protect them from the others and have them side by side. This way they can see and smell each other but still not hurt them. This is our first year having chickens, so I have read a few posts here and asked a few folks I know how they do things too. We did this for a couple of days before putting a younger RIR hen in with our 4 - 4yr old hens and rooster. The older hens still chased her and pecked at her a bit after we finally let her loose in the run. But that is why they call it getting the pecking order straight, I guess. They are all fine now it's been 3 weeks now. We also have 5 week old chicks, but we will wait a bit longer before we start introducing them to the older birds. We have been taking their cages outside to spend most of the day in the shade scratching and eating grass.
I think we will wait another 2-3 weeks at least. But some may go ahead sooner. It's all up to the individual chicken keeper I guess.
big_smile.png

I have 2 bantams about 6 months old who hold themselves well with the "big" girls, on the other hand I have a partridge silkie, also about 6 months old and I have a glw who constantly goes at her!!! When things get ugly I separate them...the little ones have their own sleeping quarters

Back
Top Bottom