I need input on this new roost please

map849

Chirping
6 Years
May 6, 2015
North East, PA

These are the only pictures I have so hopefully they are clear enough so that you can tell me if any corrections need to be made.
2 days ago I moved my 5 adult BR to their new coop. I have kept them shut in and when I checked in on them tonight 3 are in a corner on the floor, 1 is perched on the edge of the poop board and the fifth was on the roost....that is until I walked in. These birds had very little human interaction before I got them and I have finally got them to eat out of my hand, but they still will not let me touch them.
I read that at night they should be set on the roost to train them to use it. Tonight I reached to picked one up and the others went beserk flapping their wings and making all kinds of noises. I am not sure who was the most traumatized, them or me.
So my question is..am I expecting too much too soon or is there something I could do to make it more chicken friendly? In their old coop 4 roosted on a 3' long board that was 2" wide and they seemed happy (5th slept in nest). Now they have 6' long 2x4 rounded roost and they won't roost on it. It is 20" off the ground with the 2' board 12" below it. Maybe it was sanded too smooth and is slippery? There is a crate in front of it that they can hop up on, but their old roost was the same height.
Any help for this newby will be appreciated.

IMO give them more time. You have done a great job on the new roost and I am so, so jealous of the space you have to add the poop box below. And your carpentry skills are outstanding.

Make sure the roost is at least 18 inches off the wall. Give them some time. Bet they will discover and prefer the new roosts very soon. Moving them to the roost is confusing and not necessary. They are creatures of habit and make changes slowly. If only one is still sleeping in the nest, likely she will move to join the flock once all the changes settle down. They really do prefer to be close to each other.

*** I have raised my small flock from 3 days old, and they are now 2 1/2 yo hens. They are quite tame, but not one loves being picked up, but will tolerate it when cornered and picked up. Eating out of your hand shows trust :)

It's really a supremely adequate roosting perch, but you must understand that even if it were made out of solid gold and it was heated to warm their little feetsies, they wouldn't like it because it's NEW! And different!

Chickens are as allergic to change as your grandparents probably are. You just need to give them time to get used to it.

It's really a supremely adequate roosting perch, but you must understand that even if it were made out of solid gold and it was heated to warm their little feetsies, they wouldn't like it because it's NEW! And different!

Chickens are as allergic to change as your grandparents probably are. You just need to give them time to get used to it.

Just ROFL at this comment! Too funny and so true!

It looks fabulous! The envy of all roosting hens! Every time I made a slight change to my roosts (trial and error you know) they acted like I painted it with acid. They'd send a sacrifice up for a couple nights and roost nearby. @azygous and @sunflour are spot on. Shut the door, they'll figure out where the penthouse suite is.

If any of your birds fail to start using the roosting pole, place them gently on the pole each night for a few nights.
Before catching a chicken in a coop make sure the coop is dark enough to blind them. Just provide enough light
for you to see their silhouette. Slowly walk over to it and slip one hand under it's breast while leaving its legs dangling
and bring the other hand over it's back and wrap that hand around its neck while lifting the bird. Do this simultaneously.
This will immediately cause them to go limp. They don't usually go berserk if they are blindfolded. Then gently lower
them to the roost feet first. Don't let go until the bird has grasped the pole. I had great success with this method on
different species of chickens. This does not work on anseriformes. They must have much better night vision.

Just measured and the roost is 17" from the wall so they should be fine.
I was very unsure how to correctly pick up the hens. Thank you mpmra for step by step instructions. I appreciate all the help from everyone and especially for all of you remembering that, what might be second nature for experienced owners, can be a bit overwhelming for newbys. Learning to relax is the main reason I got my chickens so I am grateful for this venue to give me pointers and to help me remember to stop and enjoy. Besides family, these ladies are the highlight of my day.......well, sometimes they come first. Lol.
Cannot wait till I get house chores done so I can play in the coop!

Forgot to say that today I am building a dust bath in the coop for this winter when they are shut in. Will post picture when done.

Back
Top Bottom