I need some help with splay leg please.

QuackerJackFarms

Songster
8 Years
Jun 26, 2011
Missouri
Or straddle leg, sprawl leg... I've heard several terms:

This little chicken is over a week old. One leg is decent, it's underneath her. One leg off to the side fully extended. I have tried taping them together but it's not working. She ends up on her back and then works the tape off. I have tried putting her in a little tupperware bowl with a hole cut in the lid. She gets out of the hole. Can anyone offer any ideas please? I have considered maybe a paperclip or wire?

Here.. . using the search here on BYC... I found this:

Hope it helps... good luck...

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html and... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20205
and... this is not my info.. it is by "ruth"... she also posted this:

In the time since this thread was posted I've discovered my own little technique that I think works MUCH better for treating spraddle/splay leg. I've had to treat many little chicks and the bandaid method doesn't allow them to be able to walk around and learn to use their legs, especially the "bad" leg. I felt so bad for them watching them fall over and not be able to get to food and water.

What I now do, with 100% success, is to use a very thin rubber band (the very thinnest kind). I cut it so I have a long stretchy string. Then tie one end around one ankle and leave a long piece/end sticking out. Then tie the other ankle with a loose knot leaving about an inch between legs so that the feet stay under the body. After I tie a loose knot around the second ankle I then tie that end of the "string" to the tied off other end of the string. So under the body the string is tied to istelf. That way as the chick runs and walks around they don't manage to pull the rubber band knots too tight on their ankles. If you don't tie the ends of the string to the other end, the chick will walk and it will pull the rubber band and possibly tighten the knots around the ankle.

With this method the chick can learn to walk. It gives them mobility but keeps their feet under their body. After about a day, they will be running and walking with it like all the rest. I check the knots often just to be sure they don't pull tight on their ankles and leave it on for about a week.

Works every time.

I used the Search and I put in Splayed Legs.. you would come up with the same list I did, I assume.. and the top one was great.. I clicked on the first, the top link.

Good luck..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom