I need to ask this question

Quote:
Feathersite is fun, and you're right - it is a good way to ID our different breeds of birds. It is also a good way to fuel your addiction by finding other breeds you can't live without.
cool.png

But posting a "What breed is this?" thread is also exciting. People like to be pointed in a direction to look at what their chicks are, instead of having to open all the many breed pages at feathersite and pore through all the pictures. It's much easier if you have a few breeds to narrow down your search.

It's also fun to do it that way so you can show off your babies, and get everyone's compliments to fuel your excitement!
big_smile.png

I bought three chicks from a feed store, two were supposed to be BRs but they didn't know what the other one was and the lady who did know wasn't there. They were my first chicks, I had no idea what the third one was (I just knew it was cute!), so I posted here. Turned out to be an EE.

This is one of the thread types where I learn a lot, so I always read threads with a subject like this. Some of the chick pics look the same, so it's good when someone says "muffs" or "slate-green legs" as a hint.

I did post something like that loooong time ago. I got eggs, better yet, my daughter got eggs at a sleepover. The hens were black (I saw them) and the roo got killed by a dog before we saw it
hmm.png
. The person with the chickens had no idea what they had......

I have a darling little hen I still have no clue about. I have posted on here at least twice asking and no one really seems to know. The general consensus tends to be a mutt, but she came from TSC (therefore a hatchery) so I am ASSUMING she must be pure SOMETHING just maybe a horrible example of the breed. So yeah, sometimes you just don't know.
smile.png

I obtained a little roo born Sept. 11th and shipped with a McMurray shipment of pullets as a rare bird I suppose...maybe a packing peanut.

Supposed to be an EE but doesn't really look like any EE roo I've ever seen. My son calls him "Spotty" I call him the mutt. Doesn't have a true "pea comb". Kind of an inbetween type comb. Legs aren't green. There are only two young pullets just older than him that will allow him to mate, he is hen pecked by all of the other girls.

So what breed do you think he has mixed in with him. SLW? Light Brahma (no leg feathers), Delaware???

I've been around chickens my entire life and I have no clue on this one:

10376_spotty.jpg

Last edited:
Actually , I waited to be having a good day to make this post, want to make sure it didn't sound to bad, its just something I have always wondered.

My standard answer is to all birds of unknown origin, is that they are mutts.

The reason for this can be found in the threads discussing Americunas vs EE's. Just because a bird looks like an APA recognized breed , dosent mean it is. The true test is, if you mate it with another of the breed you think it is, do the chicks match the parents characteristics ( birds with blue feathering should match the splash , black, blue percentages).

So, where my birds are concerned , if I were to adopt one, I would consider it a mutt, unless I knew the breeder, or I had proof via offspring.

Those that answered this thread honestly and openly, I thank you. I now understand that it is curiosity, not really looking for breeding validation, just , more, geez I wonder what the orgin of this creature might be?
(at least I hope I got the answer right
tongue.png
)

Thanks

Quote:
That's exactly the reason I ask these types of questions - I'm a newbie who got my clucks from the feed store and had no clue what they were. I found out that the hen I thought was an Australorp was probably a Minorca. This forum is great to help with that!

I love the "what is this?" threads - I learn a LOT from these threads [not about my birds, but about chicken breeds in general].

It seems to me that if someone doesn't like this type of thread ... just skip them. There is WAY more on this site than I can manage to read, so there is always a different thread for those who don't enjoy the "What the heck is this?" type thing.
smile.png

Kelly

Back
Top Bottom