I need to random rant here...

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
I ordered some mealworms Thursday afternoon, and got them today. I was totally not expecting to get them today! They arrived alive and wiggling. (They are gross in a delightful, bugsy way!) I still needed to prep their bedding, so I heated it in a 170* oven for 20 minutes. It was too hot to put the mealworms in, plus it stank, so I set it outside without a lid. I'm such a dork!! About 10 minutes later I realized WHAT DID I JUST DO?! Went outside and found flies all over it. *Facepalm* Off to the oven again!!!

Are non poultry rants allowed here? I got a new Crock Pot and was so excited. I imagined I would cook like a pro and be so proud of myself. The pot worked fine but, I discovered I had badly over salted and could not eat more than a few pieces (beef stew). I had to toss it all out. I am so mad at myself
somad.gif
I can't believe how stupid I am &
upset about the money I spent - down the drain.

I think we've all botched recipes before. Part of experimenting.

(Crock pots are awesome by the way...I just tend to beware the pre-made spice packets for those things and do my own "experimental" cooking. Though yep that has resulted in a couple inedible meals over the years lol)

There is a fix for over salting your food. Cut up a potato, and add it to the dish. It will cut the saltiness, and make the meal edible. Live and learn. :)

Do you mean to add a raw sliced to the crock pot? I got so discouraged I went through a few days of hot dogs and beans, to restore my taste buds. So much better than my attempts at cooking.

Do you mean to add a raw sliced to the crock pot? I got so discouraged I went through a few days of hot dogs and beans, to restore my taste buds. So much better than my attempts at cooking.
Yes, raw and sliced. Keep it up, you'll get the hang of it soon. And trust me, everyone makes mistakes when baking/cooking. Such as the time the banana bread wasn't actually done, (ahem) and when I went to tip it out of the loaf pan, I had a huge goopy mess to clean up. @@ The horse loved it though. :)

Yes potatoes are hard to over salt, so they are a quick easy fix or even if you have some instant mashed potatoes you can put a little in soups and such to thicken them and also fix over salting the stuff

In a soup or stew, I peel the potato and quarter it. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes and then remove the potato chunks. If still too salty, repeat with more potatoes.

I learned the hard way that table salt is not a substitute for kosher salt at the same ratio - as in 1 teaspoon for 1 teaspoon. I use 1/3 of the salt called for if I am using table salt for kosher or sea salt, then taste it and add more to taste.

Crock pots are the best. I own three (and yes, sometimes I have had all three going at once). I think I would give up my oven before I would give up my crock, but don't go near my cast Iron.... those are fighting words
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom