I NEED URGENT HELP

Antibiotics really ar it neccesary. It is correct, if your chicks are sleeping farther from the light you should raise the light higher above. Looking not at the pictures of your brooder, I would recommend covering the newspaper with a different bedding. It is recommended to only use newspaper for the first two or three days because you want thme to find their food without thinking their bedding is the food, but newspaper can cause leg problems. you are doing great, your chicks look healthy and they should become more active soon. If I were you, I would put a VERY low perch in their cage so that they can start flying if they are up. Congratulation!

Antibiotics really ar it neccesary. It is correct, if your chicks are sleeping farther from the light you should raise the light higher above. Looking not at the pictures of your brooder, I would recommend covering the newspaper with a different bedding. It is recommended to only use newspaper for the first two or three days because you want thme to find their food without thinking their bedding is the food, but newspaper can cause leg problems. you are doing great, your chicks look healthy and they should become more active soon. If I were you, I would put a VERY low perch in their cage so that they can start flying if they are up. Congratulation!

YES I HAVE CHANGED THEIR BEDDING I NOW USE WOOD SHAVINGS FOR THEM AND I HAVE THE PERCH IN FOR THEM AS WELL.BUT AM TOLD I HAVE TO GIVE THEM THE ANTIBIOTICS FOR 7DAYS THEN FOLLOWED BY THE COCKCIDAIL MEDICATION FOR FIVE DAYS....

Okay, well looks like you are on the right track. I have no experience with antibiotics, so you should wait for someone else to come along. Congratulations again on your new brood!

If the chicks do not act sick, and they have not had antibiotics before, they shouldn't need any now. Giving them antibiotics will wipe out their healthy gut bacteria and could make them more prone to sickness later. If you feel like you must give them some supplements I would reccomend PROBIOTIC not ANTIBIOTIC
Are they eating, drinking, and pooping normally?

If the chicks do not act sick, and they have not had antibiotics before, they shouldn't need any now. Giving them antibiotics will wipe out their healthy gut bacteria and could make them more prone to sickness later. If you feel like you must give them some supplements I would reccomend PROBIOTIC not ANTIBIOTIC
Are they eating, drinking, and pooping normally?

YES THEY ARE EATING AND DRINKING WELL

I never give antibiotics unless they are sick. Since mine have never been sick, I have never given antibiotics. Why do you want to give them antibiotics? Most of our chickens do not need it.

I never give a coccidiostat, I’ve never had to. The bug that causes problems with coccidiosis lives in wet soil or dirty water. If you keep the brooder dry and keep the water clean you probably will not have a problem with coccidiosis. The problem is not that the bug is present, the problem is when the numbers get out of hand. If water is kept clean and the brooder dry, the numbers should stay low so there is no problem.

After two or three weeks of exposure to that bug, the chickens develop an immunity to that bug. That means exposure to the bug is a good thing as long as the numbers do not get out of hand. I feed dirt to my chicks about every four days in the brooder so they can develop that immunity. With your wire bottomed brooder you should be able to keep it dry and I’m sure you are keeping their water clean. That way, when they leave the brooder and live on the ground where that bug is, they will already have immunity. Feeding dirt to them in the brooder as long as the brooder is dry protects them and strengthens their immune system.

I also have a wire bottomed brooder. Sure makes keeping it dry and clean a lot easier.

YES THEY ARE EATING AND DRINKING WELL

How their poop looks is a good indicator of gut health, and whether they need antibiotics or medication for parasites like coccidia.

If my chicks ate and drank normally, and had no blood or mucous in their poop, I would not give them any medication. I have a batch of day old chicks at the moment and will not be putting any medication in their food or water, only a probiotic supplement called "sav-a-chick"

How their poop looks is a good indicator of gut health, and whether they need antibiotics or medication for parasites like coccidia.

If my chicks ate and drank normally, and had no blood or mucous in their poop, I would not give them any medication. I have a batch of day old chicks at the moment and will not be putting any medication in their food or water, only a probiotic supplement called "sav-a-chick"

OKAY

Glenda Heywood
When feeding egg shells to chickens
DO THIS

NEVER FEED THE RAW EGG SHELLS ALWAYS COOK THEM

Well first you can use the scrambled eggs with crushed egg shells
BUT YOU HAVE TO BESURE THE EGG SHELLS ARE COOKED WITH HEAT AS THE EGGS...
Just scramble the eggs and shells mixed as then they will eat the shells for calcium.
To keep chickens from learning to eat eggs always cook crushed egg shells,
IE: so chickens do not see enclosed egg shells!
They will learn to break and eat eggs

Back
Top Bottom