I saw feather-footed chickens and was charmed by them. Good for cold climates?

AK Chick

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2016
I saw some Buff Brahma chickens in a catalog, and thought they were adorable. They looked like they were wearing snow boots. Has anyone raised these? Are they cold hardy? Do they lay well? The catalog seemed to have the same opinion about every hen, so I wanted to hear from someone who has them.

I love lot of things about my light brahmas.....
the way they look, they way they act(docile,friendly), not afraid to tread upon the snow.

But they don't lay great, maybe a few a week....
those feet feathers...they can get ice balls, frozen poop balls stuck to them as well as drag muck into the nests/onto the eggs.

I've had Belgian d'Uccles for years, and they do fine here. Deep mud all the time wouldn't be good, but otherwise they are good. The buff Brahma bantams I had were wonderful little birds, by all means give them a try. A friend has light Brahma bantams, also terrific. Mary

I have two cuckoo marans with feathered feet, I love them! Good layers and seem comfy in California.
I also have a Langshan hen with feathered legs too

I currently have an eight-year old Light Brahma and a six-year old Black Cochin, both with heavily feathered feet. They are high maintenance. Mud and feces accumulate between the toes and have to be scrubbed or the feet could rot. Their feet are also dimpled and pebbles and mud accumulate on the pads, too, and I need to dig them out occasionally.

Neither are great layers. Mine are both pets, very lovable and sweet natured. I really love them in spite of the care they require. Don't get these breeds unless you're prepared to spend the extra time required to maintain those feathered feet.

Yes, they are very cold tolerant, and my Cochin makes me giggle every time I see her plopping those big, fluffy feet down as she waddles around.

Wow. What great information to know! I will give it some more thought before we add any of those cuties to our flock. I read your response just in time the other day, as I was ordering some new additions. I ended up selecting Barred Rocks, Silver-Laced Wyandottes, Golden-Laced Wyandottes, Buckeyes, and Columbian Wyandottes. 3 hens each. All are supposed to be winter-hardy and good layers. I already spend a lot of time in the winter checking feet for cold damage, so I may need to admire those feather-footed chickens from afar:)

Back
Top Bottom