I scored a batch of 17 week old Cornish Rock x's this weekend.

carolinagirl58

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Lugoff, SC
I am a very happy camper. I scored 18 Cornish Rock crosses this weekend for $3 each. They were leftovers after the commercial truck came to clean out the broiler houses. They were moved to the broiler house's owners yard where his wife has fed them chicken scratch and cracked corn ever since. The houses are almost ready to clean out again, so these chickens had to go. they range in size from 10 pounds to at least 17 pounds. the two largest ones are from the previous batch, so they are closer to 28 weeks. I'll weight them on Friday when we process them. I am shocked at how healthy and fit they are. They are free ranging, chasing bugs, and do not hover around the feeder. I raised a batch of cornish rock crosses last year and at 8 weeks they could hardly walk and some could not walk at all. I am curious how these birds were raised so that they could be so healthy at this age! Hopefully they will still be tender. I'll post some photos and weights when we process them. They might be too big for my scalding pot. I am sure we will have to modify the killing cones.

some of them look like small turkeys. I am really amazed at how large they are. I figure even if the legs and thighs are too tough, I can't even buy dog food that cheap. And I am sure they will be fine if they are roasted or baked....maybe just not grilled. That's fine with me.

some of them look like small turkeys. I am really amazed at how large they are. I figure even if the legs and thighs are too tough, I can't even buy dog food that cheap. And I am sure they will be fine if they are roasted or baked....maybe just not grilled. That's fine with me.

Oven 300 degrees for about 3 or so hours. Like a turkey. It'll be divine. Or part them out and boil the legs and thighs and use for pot pies or casseroles. Use the backs and necks (and feet if you wish) for your broth. The breasts should be able to be fried. What a find!!! Congrats.
yippiechickie.gif

well, the chickens are in the freezer. Butchering was kind of different. Several of these birds had huge amounts of thick yellow fat in their abdominal cavities. so much fat it was difficult to cut them because I could not see what I was cutting. It was kind of disgusting. And then when I deboned them yesterday, I found one was affected with Deep Pectoral Muscle disease. The tenderloins were green. That was REALLY disgusting. But it's all done now, 73 packs of vacuum packed chicken. I had to remove tenderloins and cut 1/3 off each breast (packaged separatly ) because a single breast was just WAY too big for a meal for two. Glad that's over!!

well, the chickens are in the freezer. Butchering was kind of different. Several of these birds had huge amounts of thick yellow fat in their abdominal cavities. so much fat it was difficult to cut them because I could not see what I was cutting. It was kind of disgusting. And then when I deboned them yesterday, I found one was affected with Deep Pectoral Muscle disease. The tenderloins were green. That was REALLY disgusting. But it's all done now, 73 packs of vacuum packed chicken. I had to remove tenderloins and cut 1/3 off each breast (packaged separatly ) because a single breast was just WAY too big for a meal for two. Glad that's over!!

Wow, way worth the effort for $3 a bird. Months and months of eating. Good find!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom