I stepped on my chicken :(

tunaoftheland

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 3, 2008
I accidentally (duh
tongue.png
) stepped on one of my eleven week old cochins today. I stumbled somehow and Franco got right under foot. He let out a dreadful squak and then was kind of chicken whimpering. He is limping, and lying/sitting down a lot. I feel absolutely horrible! I know I'm not the first to do this and that it was just an accident but I still feel terrible. It happened right before work (I was actually late to work because of it) so my mom's been keeping an eye on him all day, and he's the same, though she thought he might be a little better. I see no difference. I've seen other people post about stepping on their birds, so I'm going to do a search for information, but I wanted to post first because I think it was almost as traumatic (minus the pain) for me as it was for him and I need other chicken people! I'm so worried and I feel so bad
sad.png

Sorry to hear about your baby. maybe he'll be fine when you check on him again.
Our chickens free range and when you show up with treats its hard to walk without stepping on them or kicking them as they swarm around all trying to be first. We accidentally stepped on a banty who squawked loudly and moved slowly for a day or two but is fine now. DH has accidentally punted a chicken or two and they have been fine. We had a horse kick a chicken when it got startled and knock off feathers and skin in in about a 4" by 6" area and the skin and feathers grew back. One chicken showed up with a broken leg from something and the leg healed (although it was a little crooked) but she lived for 2 more years.
Accidents do happen to all of us but if he eats and drinks and moves around some he will probably be okay but it might take some time.

Thank you for the reassurance! I guess I will just try to sit tight and let him recuperate on his own time. If he is not okay in a couple days, I shall be back
big_smile.png

If I can wait that long. Will work on the not worrying too much
sad.png

I accidentally stepped on my hen's toe. She started sitting right after. She won't come up to me now. I feel terrible. Do you think she will be okay?

I accidentally stepped on my hen's toe. She started sitting right after. She won't come up to me now. I feel terrible. Do you think she will be okay?
Grab her and look at her foot. It is possible that you have bruised her foot or broken a toe or toenail. If you've broken a toenail, trim off the broken part, and then stop the bleeding by applying cornstarch, styptic powder, or, in a pinch, flour. If the toe is broken, splint the toe by using a small stick or pencil, and wrapping it with gauze. In either case, she should be fine if given some time to heal. I've stepped on my chickens' feet several times, and have never had any problems.

Ah I see. Thank you. I didn't get time to look at her today. I was out the rest of the day. I saw her chasing the little pullets around though so I would assume shes pretty good. I will definitely look at her in the morning!

Back
Top Bottom