I suck at candling.

spatulagirl

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
Harpers Ferry, WV
I am attempting my second hatch in a borrowed Little Giant still air incubator. My first hatch, well, it didn't hatch but I blame a snowstorm and the PO for that little fact.

Now I have 24 Silkie eggs in there due to hatch in 2 weeks. I also have a broody Silkie hen setting on 3 eggs (due to hatch this weekend) and then five eggs (due to hatch in 2 weeks, I am going to take the chicks from her so she hatches out the other ones for me).

I cannot tell if the ones in the incubator are doing well or not. I think some of them are developing. I swore I saw blood vessels the other night. I tried to candle them tonight and couldn't tell! Some of them look like there is a blood ring which seems to indicate the egg was developing and then died, right?

So I decided to go candle the ones under the hen just now. the 3 brown eggs due to hatch soon seem right, all dark and then with an air sac. Three white eggs (Sulties) I can see blood vessels as clear as day! The two blue eggs, I can't tell at all.

Is this a skill I just learn over time? I swear I spend all my time googling candling pictures to compare to what I saw in my eggs.

I had no idea what I was looking at either. I unfortunately had to crack open some of my silkies eggs today and after 7 days they all turned out to be infertile. When I was looking at them all I saw was the dark spot that was he yolk.

I know how you feel though! I was looking up pics all over google and just could not tell. I will be candling in a few days so I will report lol.

I had issues with candling and then decided it was my flashlight t
hat was the issue. Hubby brought home one that was 130 lumens and I figured out if I candle from the big side I can see more. I am with you on googling to compare, but I am just learning . God luck

Back
Top Bottom