I thin k I've finally had enough.

Quote:
Oh give me a break ! Like you've never told a little white lie to your kids for their own good? Yea OK...........If you're a parent at some point or another you've had to stretch the truth alittle to your kid and you say you Never have, you're Lying
lol.png

Sniff sniff....my parents lied to me.............. Santa.........Easter Bunny...........Tooth Fairy...........

I am scarred for life.

Haha.........Exactly ! That is a Lie, so I guess they told their 3 yr old that there is No Easter bunny, No Santa, No tooth fairy.....I rest my case....You have kids People???? You are gonna LIE
lol.png

I have a zero tolerance policy here. Nothing hurts my kids. My husband had a horse once that would always try to kick me when I went to give him feed in the morning. I was pregnant at the time and had to bring out a whip just to walk out there. My horse tried to protect me but you can only take so much. Bye bye horse. Then later we had a dog that was food territorial with my kids. I didnt realize it because she had never done it with me..but she was an inch of biting my kids hand when he went to pet her...bye bye dog. This is my first time with a rooster. I remember my dad's two roosters.. Roosty who was my loving pet, sweetest thing on earth.... then the white devil. That mean thing would keep coming after us..and sad but true. We couldnt outrun it either. We had to kick it and then run and jump on my mom and dads deck so it couldnt get us. He became stew...he was rather yummy. So as worried as I am, I would like to stop spending $2-$3 for chicks each year and am trying a roo...but zero tolerance.....zero. I can meat all the time...I love raising chickens. YOu either love me and my family back or you join my canning hobby!

Talk to your son and let him know its not his fault he is aggressive. Try to find him a home or cull him, then let him pick out another rooster. Try a buff orpington. I"ve heard lots of good things about them. Unless you raise only bantams.

I am not knocking BO's but I just got rid of one for killing two of my hens. I caught him with the third one and intervened. I don't think it's any particular breed I think it is just their disposition. I have an EE rooster and he runs from me when I go in the coop but I still watch him because you never know. First time he tries to attack me he will get a little taste of my foot!!!!

Quote:
Wow thanks for sharing this. What a good thing for all of us to keep in mind- never trust a roo.

I am with the others that say get rid of the aggressive roo. I have had to put one down before (DH did it). He drew blood on my youngest child and tried to kill me. I loved that roo...it was so sad.

Your aggressive roo might harm a child's eyes.

my rooster used to do this and i didnt want to go outside intill i decided to try sprayoing him with a spray bottel and he would leave you alone and if h started to run after you spray him it worked soo good now useing it on my younger roosters
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks, maybe I'll try this first.
lol.png

DO NOT DO THIS!!! If this rooster is aggressive as you say, he will only see the rackets as a challenge and every time he see's the girls with them he will think it's time to "DO BATTLE". Kinda like another rooster challenging him and his territory. He will not learn from it, his brain is the size of a pea! He will keep fighting and the girls could get hurt.

S.S.S. or get rid of him however you can. You should tell the new owner all about his aggressiveness up front. I agree with the others about not lying to your kids, however you are the adult and only you know how they will react and the best course of action. They need to know how the food chain works. Besides, I'm sure our parents made decisions and did things for our own good (when we were kids), and didn't bother to inform us of all the facts before hand. I've done it both ways depending on the situation and the age of the kids.

I beg to differ! I wacked my rooster with a pipe so hard he was out cold for a few minute. He never attacked me again. the victom can also hold the rooster and give him a firm talking to and try to asert dominance. it works i've done it.

Depends on the roo, some only take one bop on the head and some seem to love pain
roll.png
Maybe try leashing it up like some of the game bird pictures I've seen?

Last edited:
Quote:
x2 How old are the kids?? Just base the excuse of that and what you can make believable. As far as getting rid of him..... Craigs list maybe?!?!

LOL xD

Our GLW roo has pecked my husband a couple of times. He's never been aggressive with me or any of the kids, I think it's an adult male thing. I grabbed him, held him down on the ground (the roo, not the DH
lol.png
), and had the DH come over and hold him like that for about 30 seconds. I think Jack got the message, we'll see.
If the roo ever made an aggressive move towards the kids though, he'd be dead as soon as I got to him.

Back
Top Bottom