I think I f*ed up. Help

fb32108

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2016
So I was incubating about 10 eggs or so and day 21 rolls around. Nothing popped out. I waited a few more days (25) and a single chick came out.Great!!! then i thought it shouldn't be much longer now for the rest. Well, I candle lit a few and noticed that they were liquid on the inside. So I took the chance and thought i would crack it to see if it was a bad egg, It was. And also like 6 others. So i was disposing of those eggs when i got to the 7th egg when i noticed this one was fully formed... I stopped immediately. it looks like everything was going fine and he/she might pop out in a day or so but she isn't breathing or moving. Not sure if he/she is dead or still coming along... I am not sure if its dead or still forming or if it will even have a chance to still hatch/fall out of the rest of the egg when ready? any advice is appreciated. see attached picture. I will provide more upon request.

Attachments

• IMG_20190506_193749.jpg
    IMG_20190506_193749.jpg
    473.4 KB · Views: 30
If alive you should see movement or breathing. I see no blood in the shell so I might try to free it's head, but use your own judgment.

I cant tell if he/she is breathing or not. I do see blood vessels on the egg sac which tell me that maybe she is still absorbing the nutrients but unsure. I read somewhere that destroying the egg sac before they have absorbed all the nutrients will surely cause them to die. Not sure how i can tell if he/she is alive?

So I was incubating about 10 eggs or so and day 21 rolls around. Nothing popped out. I waited a few more days (25) and a single chick came out.Great!!! then i thought it shouldn't be much longer now for the rest. Well, I candle lit a few and noticed that they were liquid on the inside. So I took the chance and thought i would crack it to see if it was a bad egg, It was. And also like 6 others. So i was disposing of those eggs when i got to the 7th egg when i noticed this one was fully formed... I stopped immediately. it looks like everything was going fine and he/she might pop out in a day or so but she isn't breathing or moving. Not sure if he/she is dead or still coming along... I am not sure if its dead or still forming or if it will even have a chance to still hatch/fall out of the rest of the egg when ready? any advice is appreciated. see attached picture. I will provide more upon request.

Update: So, he/she was dead. upon closer inspection it looks like she was dead a while ago. Not sure what happened. After candle lighting on day 5, I haven't touched the egg. Don't know what could possibly do this. I have attached a graphic picture to show you what it looked like. here is a link so you arn't forced to see it. https://imgur.com/a/iaMfqtP

Update: So, he/she was dead. upon closer inspection it looks like she was dead a while ago. Not sure what happened. After candle lighting on day 5, I haven't touched the egg. Don't know what could possibly do this. I have attached a graphic picture to show you what it looked like. here is a link so you arn't forced to see it. https://imgur.com/a/iaMfqtP

It looks like it absorbed the yolk, so was basically ready to go. Could have been humidity too high (drown in the shell) or malposition (couldn't get head to aircell), or something else altogether. Hard to say from a photograph.

Hi, sorry you have lost your chick. But this is not your fault. If it is any comfort
years ago, when we had our farm and i bred my chickens.Many a time i done the same
thing. And each time it happened i felt it was my fault. But i thought i was giving them
a hand. Sometimes it helped then other times i to lost them. You tried your very best
be proud of yourself.

x2 on @julskinka's post - the chick looks like a late quitter, maybe around day 19. There's a chart here that you may find helpful. @sumi also posted an article that may help you determine the potential causes of the hatch problems.

I've now had more than a few hatches, but am always looking for ways to improve my techniques and continuous learning is key. Also, performing eggtopsies is important to learning what went wrong so that it may be prevented in future hatches (and IMO, anyone who chooses to incubate shouldn't be put off by seeing eggtopsy photos like yours :)).

I know how disappointing a batch hatch can be - best wishes for better hatches in the future! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom