I think I have ...

Rainier

Songster
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Thurston County, WA
All of the chicks were bought at a feed store and were in the Banty Chick bin.

Buff Orpington (?) I have two that look exactly the same but only posted pictures of one

Silver Laced Cochin (?)

White Silkie

Welsummer or EE (?) Chick 1, darker chick

Chick 2

Black Australorp

Rhode Island Red (on receipt) or Production Red (?)

Chick 1- either a Buff Rock or Buff Orpington
Chick 2- Could be a SLW Cochin but looks more like a Light Brahma or Columbian Cochin.
Chick 3- White Silkie
Chick 4- From another thread you posted on I said that:
She looks like a female Speckled Sussex, because of the white in her wing and her dark and distinct eye mark.
Chick 5- Either a Welsummer or SS, looks like a cockerel from his light eye line.
Chick 6- Not a Black Australorp because of the white feather, possibly a Mottled Ancona or Echequer Leghorn chick
Chick 7and beyond- They are all Production Red also known as hatchery RIRs or Cherry Eggers.:)

I just posted updated pictures on the other thread you responded to (thank you by the way!)

Just for laughs here is what the receipt said:

chick 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 - Banty Chicks (straight run)

chicks 6 - Black Australorp (pullet)

chick 7, 8 and 9 - Rhode Island Red (pullet)

Last edited:
Chick 1- either a Buff Rock or Buff Orpington
Chick 2- Could be a SLW Cochin but looks more like a Light Brahma or Columbian Cochin.
Chick 3- White Silkie
Chick 4- From another thread you posted on I said that:
She looks like a female Speckled Sussex, because of the white in her wing and her dark and distinct eye mark.
Chick 5- Either a Welsummer or SS, looks like a cockerel from his light eye line.
Chick 6- Not a Black Australorp because of the white feather, possibly a Mottled Ancona or Echequer Leghorn chick
Chick 7and beyond- They are all Production Red also known as hatchery RIRs or Cherry Eggers.
smile.png
I agree with your guesses.

All of the chicks were bought at a feed store and were in the Banty Chick bin.

Buff Orpington (?) I have two that look exactly the same but only posted pictures of one
Buff WYANDOTTE bantam

Silver Laced Cochin (?)
Cochin

White Silkie

Welsummer or EE (?) Chick 1, darker chick
looks like a Speckled Sussex, but if it's a bantam, I'd say Old English Game Bantam
Chick 2
OEGB

Black Australorp

Rhode Island Red (on receipt) or Production Red (?)

Black Australorps frequently have that white feather in their wings as chicks. It goes away when they molt once or twice.
I think both of those are OEGB.

Better pictures of the chicks that were in the bantam chick bin and all of them are about the same size. I also included a picture of them with a barred rock chick that is 10 days old. I know the barred rock chick age because I got them from a breeder and was told exact hatch date (4-3-14). The other chicks were picked up from a local feed store on 4-3-14.
These little ones are the sweetest, most laid back of all of them. Yes they don't like being caught but they settle right down in your hands and usually will fall asleep or just sit in your hand and look around.

First chick close up. These chicks are the loudest and the first to let us know that they want something. They do not like to be handled. They are the same size as the little ones above.

Last edited:
Better pictures of the chicks that were in the bantam chick bin and all of them are about the same size. I also included a picture of them with a barred rock chick that is 10 days old. I know the barred rock chick age because I got them from a breeder and was told exact hatch date (4-3-14). The other chicks were picked up from a local feed store on 4-3-14.

First chick close up

The Buff chick looks like a Buff Wyandotte, I'm seeing a rose comb.

Back
Top Bottom