I think I need help?! PICS included........

it took a while for my golden comet to start laying regularly. I thought there was something wrong with her but after all the soft shelled eggs and the eggs with blood she is finally laying normal eggs. It took about a month and a half after she first layed before the regular eggs started being formed. Her eggs also have dark brown spots on them but the spots are not blood.

Quote:
Look at the size of an egg, then look at were it comes from. The 'machinery' has to adjust to handle the product. Occasional rips and tear are part of that 'adjustment' process.

Absolutely normal occurrence.

Quote:
This is very helpful information. One of our Golden Comets started laying a week ago Sunday. She laid 5 beautiful, perfect eggs. Then it got really hot here again. She laid another nice one on Saturday, but since then the shells have been very brittle and the color is strange. I did buy some oyster shell today, because I thought it was time to add that to her diet. I think it is the heat more than anything, but I am hoping the extra calcium will help.

Extra calcium will always be good for her. I have found that my hens eat everything but oyster shell bits. They seem to hate oyster shell. They are free range so I have to put layer feed in four places in the yard where they roam...

I haven't given them oyster shell yet. They are all still on grower crumbles as we weren't expecting eggs this soon! I just opened a 50# bag of grower crumbles! I hope that will be ok!

Oh, totally, grower feed doesn't, depending on brand, usually have enough calcium for keeping up the laying of hard shelled eggs. You should see a total difference if you even just start giving layer feed.

If you just bought a large bag of grower feed... Don't waste it. Feed it to them with oyster shell. If they don't eat the oyster shell just add layer feed to the grower feed.

OK, great, thank you! I will get oyster shell and add it it then!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom