I think I need to re-home my chickens

SaraFL

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
I'm keeping 5 chickens in my backyard. They are in a pen most of the day but I let them free range in the backyard for several hours every day. The yard is surrounded by a 3-4' chainlink fence. Several weeks ago, 2 of them figured out how to fly up on top of the fence and then hop down to the other side. So, yesterday I clipped their wings. Today, all of them made it out of the backyard, even the ones whose wings were clipped. I have looked all along the fence, and I'm 99% sure there's no holes or other ways they are getting out. They have to be hopping over the fence.

This is not good, obviously. My chickens are illegal, for one thing. For another, they can get hurt by the neighbor dogs or cars if they leave the front yard, etc. I feel their pen is too small to keep them in 24/7, and they love running around the yard. This is very disappointing because they are just about to start laying (they are about 4.5 months old) and they are so cute. I'm just wanting to check with y'all to see if there's something else I can do. I can not put up another fence or add anything to the current fence. I don't really want to build a bigger pen to keep them in all the time. Any other suggestions before I start looking for a new home for them? Will they gain extra weight once they start laying and will that weight keep them in the yard? (Wishful thinking?)

sad.png

Mine used to do the same thing, however we keep a dog and she now knows how to herd them back in. I think maybe a temporary roof to deter them may work though I'm no expert. Maybe just chuck some greens in every once in a while. This also keeps my chickens in as their area has long been demolished by dustbathing. Or some sand... just stuff to keep them entertained. Good Luck!
hugs.gif

did you clip just 1 wing or both.
reason being - you clip 1 wing when they go to jump and fly they are unbalanced and only make it about 18 inches.

clip both wings and they are balanced again. they cannot fly far but can get about 4 to 5 ft. basically you turn them from a 747 jumbo jet to a jet fighter.

I would use 2" avian netting over a portion of the yard to keep them in, even if it's only at the height of the fence. It will be a pain crouching to go in the area with them, but you can keep them in that way. I get mine cheap by scrutinizing ebay- there's a huge variance in the prices for the very same thing, so take your time and look through all the listings.

Good luck!

I clipped my chickens wings after they started to lay so I'm not sure the difference it makes before or after. Mine cannot even get close to clearing my four foot fence with clipped wings. I think the whole clip one wing thing is bologna. Backyard chickens website urban legend. Did you clip all of their flight feathers as far sown as you possibly could? Depending on how much you cut you could possibly do more and limit flying even more.

After our hens gained more weight after they started laying, they rarely get airborne. That, along with clipping wing feathers should do the trick, but until then, I agree with the netting idea. Good luck!

Does your neighbor know you have them? I teamed up with mine and had them turn the hose on them when they went over the fence. It only took about three good soakings to break the habit. I did the same to their chickens when they came over here. Works great!

My larger birds just stopped flying once they reached adulthood.

You could try some bird netting ,bamboo poles,and plastic fencing to create a larger area to contain them in. I have trouble with mine pushing under the fencing!

Back
Top Bottom