I think I saved one of my silkies from being spraddled!

tabinal

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2016
It came out of the incubator spraddle legged. Totally unable to walk and I was afraid I would have to cull. I looked on this site for anything I could do to help the little one and it is able to walk after just a few hours treatment with a bandaid. I was so thankful for all the knowledge I have found on here.

That's great! I hope she is still doing well
smile.png

It is good now. It couldn't stand at all to begin with. It probably had the bandaid on 4 hours before it pecked it off and has been walking fine.

I spoke too soon. Had to put another band aid on and a second looks suspicious.

Thanks. Now I have 3 I'm working on out of 21. 2 are able to stand some now and 1 of those can walk when it gets the feet underneath. Still crossing my fingers and hoping.

That seems high in a hatch. Were these late hatchers? Did they take a long time? Anything unusual about there hatch? What day did they hatch on? How about your temp and humidity during incubation, any problems? Where did you get your eggs from? Do you know if these 3 chicks are from the same hen and roo? I only ask so maybe we can figure out why this happened and prevent for next time.

Do your chicks seem to be responding? Good vibes and prayers your way!
#StFrancis

I think the problem may have been a day that the temp jumped to 102 in my circulated air bator. The eggs came from 2 different sources, 3 different hens as they were all different breeds. One hatched on day 20 and the other 2 on day 21. The humidity did fall to 24% one day when it snowed, but was consistent besides that. It seems one had a birth defect and couldn't stand at all. It could only hop like a frog and kept getting the feet up over the wings. My husband culled it for me. One of the other 2 has completely recovered after not being able to stand at all with the help of the band aid therapy. The other walks around fine and only gets spraddled again occasionally, but it refused to keep the bandaid on for long.

Back
Top Bottom