I think I was sold a BBB instead of a standard bronze tom

HaughtFarms

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2019
Indiana
I purchased a poult in march that was listed as a standard bronze but at 13 weeks old is huge and very heavy. I am afraid he is Bbb. I am a vegetarian, and bought him as a pet, and could never process him. He is my sweet boy. I am concerned what to do for him as I know that the bbb generally are unhealthy when they get older, and tend to have problems with their legs. I've added some pics so maybe someone can tell me what they think his true breed is. He also at some point had a broken toe, which I'm concerned about him being able to walk. It's fine now, although crooked, but idk about the future. He ambulates fine as of now. So I guess what I'm asking is if he is a bbb is their anyone who has had success in keeping their bbb past the 5 month mark? This is so heartbreaking

Attachments

• 20190618_085514.jpg
    20190618_085514.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20190618_085254.jpg
    20190618_085254.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I purchased a poult in march that was listed as a standard bronze but at 13 weeks old is huge and very heavy. I am afraid he is Bbb. I am a vegetarian, and bought him as a pet, and could never process him. He is my sweet boy. I am concerned what to do for him as I know that the bbb generally are unhealthy when they get older, and tend to have problems with their legs. He also at some point had a broken toe, which I'm concerned about him being able to walk. It's fine now, although crooked, but idk about the future. He ambulates fine as of now. So I guess what I'm asking is their anyone who has had success in keeping their bbb past the 5 month mark? This is so heartbreaking
Lots of exercise and free range time can help. Do not give any fatty treats such as BOSS or flax seed. Limit treats or cut them out entirely. Giving a good vitamin B complex should help prevent leg issues. The vitamin B complex can be prepared at the rate of 1/2 tablet or capsule mixed in one gallon of water. Do not add anything else to the water and make it the only source of water. It should be made fresh daily.

I would provide a good all flock feed in the 18% to 20% protein range. The all flock will have higher amounts of lysine, mewthionine and niacin.

Good luck.

Thank you so much! Will the supplements in the water be ok for my chickens to drink as well? I know there is the controversy of keeping chix and Turks together, but on my place I dont have a choice for right now. He is turned out everyday and doesn't get table scraps other than the organic veggies I grow here at my place.Thanks again for your help!

Thank you so much! Will the supplements in the water be ok for my chickens to drink as well? I know there is the controversy of keeping chix and Turks together, but on my place I dont have a choice for right now. Thanks again for your help!
Black head is not an issue everywhere and plenty of people are able to keep chickens and turkeys together. Proper parasite control if needed will reduce or eliminate the issue as well.

B vitamins cannot be overdosed so your chickens will be fine with it in the water.

Have you weighed him to see where he stands? Maybe he is a standard bronze and you just aren't familiar with their size compared to chickens?? I'm just starting my turkey adventures, and also here to learn. :confused: :pop

I have had BBB once before, and it lived for 2 years (this was 6 - 7 years ago), it was a Hen (my parents gave it the name Thomasina) and i do admit she was a heavy Turkey, abut she was also a free range turkey that rand with my chickens, and guarded the ducks (everytime i had an adult turkey running with the chickens almost noting tried to get the chickens), mostly because they had to deal with a large guard animal that followed them (currently that guarding job is in the hands of my Golden Narragansett Tom, and a female brown Chinese goose)

I have not weighed him but I will. I'ts been some years since I've had turkeys, so I hope I am wrong! However he was bought through a big chain store and I am worried that when I researched what hatchery they used, they only had the BBW and then Orlopp Broad breasted listed on their site. I wrote an email to the company asking to confirm for sure but havent heard back yet. There was no sign on his brooder listing the exact breed, so this is mostly my fault. He was an impulse buy, I should have been better prepared. But when he followed me all around the brooder, I just couldn't leave him there. So no matter what happens at least I know I've given him a great life with lots of love that he might not have gotten elsewhere. But it's still heartbreaking to me

My last Turkey was a rescued bbw that we ended up having to euthanize because his legs finally gave out so it may be I'm just overly sensitive to this maybe being a repeat of that. Only time will tell, but hopefully he lives a long happy life. If he does develop problems, I wont let him suffer. Thanks to everyone replying, you are all so knowledgeable and helpful! Much love my friends

I have not weighed him but I will. I'ts been some years since I've had turkeys, so I hope I am wrong! However he was bought through a big chain store and I am worried that when I researched what hatchery they used, they only had the BBW and then Orlopp Broad breasted listed on their site. I wrote an email to the company asking to confirm for sure but havent heard back yet. There was no sign on his brooder listing the exact breed, so this is mostly my fault. He was an impulse buy, I should have been better prepared. But when he followed me all around the brooder, I just couldn't leave him there. So no matter what happens at least I know I've given him a great life with lots of love that he might not have gotten elsewhere. But it's still heartbreaking to me
Orlopps are Broad Breasted Bronzes.

I have had my BBW since he was 1 day old, and have raised him right along side with my chickens. He is now 1 year, and 3 months old. He is HUGE, but still getting around just fine. I do keep a close eye on the start of any health issues, I definitely do not want him to suffer. He follows me around everywhere. I love him so much!

Back
Top Bottom