I think I'm getting a rooster!

WyoChick1

Chirping
Mar 13, 2023
Wyoming
Somehow as a first time chicken owner I ended up with 11/11 hens, while every time my sister buys four or five for her flock, she ends up with at least one rooster. Now that I live out of town and can keep a rooster, she is wanting to give me her latest suspect. Does this look like a 15 or 16 week old Americana roo? Any tips for integrating him into my flock of 20-week-old pullets?

Attachments

• IMG_20230718_185317.jpg
    IMG_20230718_185317.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20230718_185319.jpg
    IMG_20230718_185319.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 16
Have him separated by a see through barrier for a week or so, and then let them all outside, him first. if you can free range for this, it's best, because there will be plenty of space. Extra feeders and waterers, and places to be out of sight of each other, so nobody gets trapped.
Is he so far a good boy? Don't take on a difficult cockerel!
Mary

Very handsome. I would just set him directly in there with everyone. They know what to do, it's in their bones

Thanks, all! Yes so far it sounds like he's timid and "hen pecked," haha. Quiet, my sister hasn't really heard him crow yet, though she's gone in the early mornings so maybe she misses it.

My flock is basically free range, yes. Big yard area that's all theirs, and a good sized coop. So there's definitely room for him, I just hope they all get along because so far the rest of my flock seems very well bonded and I'm surprised how easy they have been. I'm a spoiled firsttime chicken owner!

Back
Top Bottom