I think I'm losing my little Ancona hen

Beyond Yonder

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 8, 2014
My Ancona hen has been very strange the last couple weeks he hasn't laid an egg in almost a year and she's about 6 years old. She has a darker purplish that is shriveled, she gas when she breathes, and she walks funny sometimes she falls down when she's trying to beat the other hens to the food. She eats and drinks the same as always. I don't know if she's dying because of old age or if there's something I should be doing for her. I give her probiotics and electrolytes in her water please tell me what else I should be looking for? Thank you so much

Six is on the older side for a hen, especially one that lays as well as anconas. Does she have any enlargement in her lower abdomen between her legs? How does her crop feel, and does it appear large?

Six is on the older side for a hen, especially one that lays as well as anconas. Does she have any enlargement in her lower abdomen between her legs? How does her crop feel, and does it appear large?
She walk like she's waddling back and forth. Like her legs don't go together like they used to do. When I hold her in my lap her comb is shriveled and much darker like she's not getting enough oxygen. And at the end of the day she is gasping like it's hard to get breath. She eats and drinks good but she's the last one off of the roost in the morning like she just too tired to face the day. When I hold her today I will feel in between her legs to see if there's something there not sure what I should be looking for?

Well, I would look for a swollen abdomen between her legs, which might be fluid (ascites) or a reproductive infection, such as lash egg material or egg yolk peritonitis. Any of those conditions have abad outcome eventually. If there is fluid in the belly, you can sometimes remove some of the yellow fluid occasionally to make her mire comfortable. After disinfecting her belly with betadine or chlorhexidene, you can insert an 18 gauge needle into the abdomen to drain fluid. A vet would be best if available. I would try to make her comfortable, perhaps letting her do what she wants, and feed her cooked egg and wet chicken feed.

Well, I would look for a swollen abdomen between her legs, which might be fluid (ascites) or a reproductive infection, such as lash egg material or egg yolk peritonitis. Any of those conditions have abad outcome eventually. If there is fluid in the belly, you can sometimes remove some of the yellow fluid occasionally to make her mire comfortable. After disinfecting her belly with betadine or chlorhexidene, you can insert an 18 gauge needle into the abdomen to drain fluid. A vet would be best if available. I would try to make her comfortable, perhaps letting her do what she wants, and feed her cooked egg and wet chicken feed.
Thank you so much for your help because she has not laid in so long I didn't think that it had anything to do with her reproductive parts and eggs. She is one of my favorite girls and wants held and sleeps in my arms. I will check her under Carriage when they get out this afternoon. Death is so sad.

Reproductive problems are the most common cause of death in hens. They are vulnerable after the age of 2. I am losing one occasionally at the age of 7 or 8, and many have not laid in years. I usually do an autopsy on my hens after they die, and that is how I have discovered lash eggs, cancer, or ascites. Very sorry about your hen. I hope that she doesn’t suffer.

Back
Top Bottom