I think its possible a dead rat is worse than a live one

kristenm1975

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Seattle, WA
We've been overtaken by rats and mice for a long time now, and I've tried many tricks to get rid of them (starting with the obvious one of removing as many food sources as possible). I used the big sticky pad traps, three kinds of snapping traps, even tried mashed potato flakes, but caught not a thing. I tried spraying my garbage and the area around the coops with a strong peppermint and tea tree oil spray as I'd heard that's a repellent to them. Nothing has shown the least bit of a sign of slowing them down. In fact, they're more plentiful, and fatter.

So, I'm afraid to say, in a moment of frustration I resorted to the poison. I didn't put any near the coop of course, just inside the laundry room where they'd gotten, and in the place where I store feed. A week or more passed and I was resigned to the fact that we obviously have some VERY intelligent rodents around here if not even the poison gets them.

Well last night I started smelling dead animal. Today, after a day of temps in the upper 80's, its foul around here. I found one dead one behind the trash cans, realllllly dead, another one freshly dead in with the feed, and one more in there too, obviously going to die before the night's out. The repercussions of my foolish choice are starting to hit me. The odor is the least of it. There's the huge problem of what is going to eat the dead poisoned rats (owls, neighbor's dogs, MY dog, coyotes), there's the awful feeling of never knowing if I'm going to go out to do some laundry and find another dead one in there. I can't believe I did this. Word to the wise: there's always a better way!

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I currently have chipmunk problem I need to deal with, and I'm at a loss as to how. I had thought of using the PB & POP method, but then my husband asked me "Where are they going to die? Are we going to be smelling them all summer?" OK- good point. Chipmunks have gained a reprieve until the cooler weather sets in.
You are living my nightmare. I'm sorry.

I still think the best way to deal with rats is to shoot them. At night they will be very active and if you black tape a flashlight to a rifle and get up high(we used to sit up on the top of the coop) that way any stray shots just hit the ground you'll be able to see them really well. I wish I had my nightvision goggles from the Anrmy. You have to be quick because when you hit them with the light they scurry.

CMV what are the chipmunks doing, we have them but they don't bother anyone but the bluejays. Are they killer chipmunks?
ep.gif

Quote:
Chipmunks eat your flowers. Mow them down to just stalks sticking out of the ground.

ooh I would hate that!!!thank goodness mine stick to the woods.

i m sorry about your troubles. we have a horrible mouse/ rat infestation in our warehouses, and sad to say some idiot thought itd be a good idea to poisen some chick waterers and set them around.... well up untill then we HAD a warehouse mouser. when we found her dead, the person who admitted to poisoning the water claimed he thought the cat would know not to drink from them. !!!! so the mice were happy. we use about every kind of trap we sell nothing but the poison ramik green baits work. when you find their holes, fill them with steel wool before patching them. it ll keep them from chewing right back through in that spot. and your right, that smell is aweful!!!!

Quote:
Actually, they are killers...of my ATV, tractor, snow blower and lawnmower. They build their nests and store their food inside my engine compartments. I won't even tell you what they did to my grill and hot tub water lines. Beasts.

It is one of the negative components of using poison. I too have had to resort to poison to get the population under control. One or two rats easily turn to 20-30!

So far the poison has worked well, and I have just been absolutely PARANOID about the dogs around the barn. Luckily, most of the bait I've set out has been taken by the rats and moved under the big round bales of hay, so the immediate poison is out of reach. But, still being paranoid I check the barn for dead and dying rats out in the open. I cover the chicken waters at night, because the rats like to drink out of them.

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom