I think my girls have fowl pox????

Momchick4 that looks like fowl pox- I'm sorry.
The most important thing is to make sure their eyes stay cleaned. My girls eyes were glued shut with their faces covered in scabs :( I bathed their eyes twice a day day with either honey and warm water or saline. I also applied petroleum jelly to their faces to soften the scabs. Not sure if that was right but it helped.
Yes my girls are improving slowly, the scabs are slowly falling off and both my girls can see again :weee
BUT my worst effected girl now has a swollen face on one side only :th and she is back to acting unwell. I have started giving her antibiotics ( Flagyl) and continue to bath her eyes.
I'm hoping she will get over all this but it seems to be a long slow road.

Good luck with your and make sure you separate your infected birds as it will spread right through your flock.

Can someone help me please?
My girls have just had dry fowl pox and they are in the process of loosing their scabs. It's been about 3 weeks but I think we have gotten past the fowl pox BUT one of girls now has a swollen face only on one side. Is this apart of fowl pox or is it a completely different sickness? The face is soo swollen it goes under her beak ( one side only) I have been giving her Flagyl for 4 days now and it's made no difference.
Please can any one shed some light on why her face is now swollen?

Can someone help me please?
My girls have just had dry fowl pox and they are in the process of loosing their scabs. It's been about 3 weeks but I think we have gotten past the fowl pox BUT one of girls now has a swollen face only on one side. Is this apart of fowl pox or is it a completely different sickness? The face is soo swollen it goes under her beak ( one side only) I have been giving her Flagyl for 4 days now and it's made no difference.
Please can any one shed some light on why her face is now swollen?
Can you post a picture? Is the swelling close to her ear, or in the wattle? It could be a secondary infection or a respiratory disease. Can you get tylosin or oxytetracycline to treat for a possible respiratory infection? Warm compresses may also help, but if it is viral (which is what causes pox) then it may not respond to antibiotics.

Last edited:

First pic is of side that is swollen and 2nd pic is her other side which is normal.
She is still eating and drinking but is having trouble.
So it could be connected to the fowl pox?

Back
Top Bottom