I think silkie rooster killed d'uccle hen today

mammat

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2009
columbus ohio
I went out tonight to find one of my d'uccle hens dead. She had a tear in her neck and a bare back. Her vent looking red and inflamed. She was lowest in the pecking order and even the other d'uccles did not really like her. Nobody really picked on her but they just didnt buddy up. I am so upset. I have 2 silkie roosters with 2 bantam cochins, 4 d'uccles and 22 large fowl hens. I have noticed that dot had been getting more aggressive with the ladies lately but I thought it was just change of seasons. Afro my other rooster is the head guy and is very good with the girls. I am not sure it was Dot but I didn't see any evidence of any predator amd I know its not Afro. She was not bloody but had mud all over her. I have saddles on 3 of the big girls and my other d'uccles have bare spots but i really did not think it would go to this extreme. I don't know if he is picking them because he cant really get to the big girls or what. I think 26 hens would be enought to go around for two bantam roosters. I have never had an aggressive roo like this before. Has anyone else had this happen? With a silkie?

Last edited:
I went out tonight to find one of my d'uccle hens dead. She had a tear in her neck and a bare back.  Her vent looking red and inflamed. She was lowest in the pecking order and even the other d'uccles did not really like her.  Nobody really picked on her but they just didnt buddy up. I am so upset.  I have 2 silkie roosters with 2 bantam cochins, 4 d'uccles and 22 large fowl hens.  I have noticed that dot had been getting more aggressive with the ladies lately but I thought it was just change of seasons.  Afro my other rooster is the head guy and is very good with the girls.  I am not sure it was Dot but I didn't see any evidence of any predator amd I know its not Afro. She was not bloody but had mud all over her.  I have saddles on 3 of the big girls and my other d'uccles have bare spots but i really did not think it would go to this extreme.  I don't know if he is picking them because he cant really get to the big girls or what. I think 26 hens would be enought to go around for two bantam roosters.  I have never had an aggressive roo like this before.  Has anyone else had this happen? With a silkie?

I don't think the silkie rooster did anything. Is it possible something could have gotten her?

Back
Top Bottom