I tried the Rent A Hen

Also here's the owner on a local tv show when asked about how the rental price compares to buying and DIY saying that the eggs you get per month from his hens offsets the rental price and that if you were to go out and buy hens that were already laying (what he's ostensibly renting) you'd pay $25-30:

So it's clear that he means that they are already laying.

Additionally he says in the video that he copied the business model of rent-a-chicken companies in other states which have as a main selling point that the customer doesn't have to wait for them to reach POL:
"Ms. Suitor, who founded her company in 2009 with her husband, Mark, saw several problems bedeviling chicken owners. One was that they were often accidentally buying rooster chicks, which, of course, did not produce the desired eggs and made a disquieting noise. Some owners also incorrectly assumed that they would start eating organic, farm-fresh eggs for breakfast the morning after they brought home chicks, not realizing it can take several months or more for hens to mature and begin producing them.

Ms. Suitor’s company avoided these problems by delivering only hens in their egg-laying prime. “They get the payback right away,”"

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/business/rentals-that-let-you-fly-the-coop.html?_r=2&

Okay, so he may have said it in a video and yes it is implied you get POL hens not pullets, not arguing that at all, people obviously expect POL hens and that's what he should deliver, but all I'm saying is the language on the website was vague.

Also, if people expect day old chicks to lay eggs right from the beginning then that is their fault and no one else's.

But that said, I think the owner is wrong in that regard, I don't think anyone is stupid enough to expect day olds to lay eggs, but I think the issue is people don't want to RAISE them.

But idk.

Despite all the debate here over details stated by the company :rolleyes:....

.....the OP spells out exactly what I expected would happen when these 'rent a hen' deals came out a few years ago.

It sucks newbies in just like the ads for the tiny dollhouse coops.
All Romance and no Reality.
What a SMH shame.

Agreed!! It's sad.

We got one of those tiny coops to begin with, as I think you already know, and it was wayyyyy too small and they somewhat suffered while we were building the new one, which was pretty slow going.

They were in that thing two years and it was basically falling apart already.

We finally moved them to the new one two weeks ago and it's much better and they are much happier, though of course the run's bigger too and new ground, but still.

That thing was cute and worked well for chicks but definitely NOT for adult birds. It also was really impractical and hard to clean and, like I said, poorly constructed, flimsy, and falling apart already.

And frankly, I would NOT have trusted it at all to withstand predators but we removed the attached run and placed the coop inside a 6x12 chain link dog kennel. Would not have trusted it otherwise. Too cheap and flimsy.

It was only supposed to be a temporary thing because they needed to move out of the garage ASAP but the coop took longer to build than we thought.

It was also ridiculously expensive for what it is.

Back
Top Bottom