444.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210708_141449.jpg
    20210708_141449.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220216_142305.jpg
    20220216_142305.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I want ducks that lay a lot of eggs and are REALLY kind? Does anyone have any breed suggestions?
Just keep in mind that the more eggs they lay, the more likely it is they will run into health issues from laying- personally I would reccomend a breed that lays a moderate amount of eggs, rather than excessive- for the health of the birds- You could even feed back any extra eggs you don't want to give them a nutrients boost- But that's just my thoughts, I wanted to share.

My girls are Aylesbury mixes, I suspect mixed with pekin but I'm not certain- and they are absolutely gorgeous birds, I raised them myself so they are VERY friendly. I couldn't have hoped for better first time ducks! From what I know of the Aylesbury breed, they are very good natured ducks.
edit: if they are harder to find where you live, I also think highly of cayugas
So that's my reccomendation!

Last edited:
My only experience as a duck owner -- although we had Mallards when I was a kid -- is with runners. My five girls have resumed laying after their winter break, and I usually get five eggs daily. So, everybody pulls her weight when it comes to production.

Runners are incredibly entertaining. They don't really have the ability to fly more than a second or two and can't attain much height when they do. They come in a wide variety of colors, and I love their looks.

All of mine will eat out of my hand, but none wants to be picked up. They do tend to be flighty. And, like all ducks, they do love water and to make messes with it.

Good luck finding the breed that's right for you!

My only experience as a duck owner -- although we had Mallards when I was a kid -- is with runners. My five girls have resumed laying after their winter break, and I usually get five eggs daily. So, everybody pulls her weight when it comes to production.

Runners are incredibly entertaining. They don't really have the ability to fly more than a second or two and can't attain much height when they do. They come in a wide variety of colors, and I love their looks.

All of mine will eat out of my hand, but none wants to be picked up. They do tend to be flighty. And, like all ducks, they do love water and to make messes with it.

Good luck finding the breed that's right for you!
Most of our ducks eat from our hands too but it seems our 3 runner ducks are the more skiddish and we haven’t got them to yet

Back
Top Bottom