I was given two quail, I know nothing about them.

TeamChaos

Songster
10 Years
Nov 8, 2009
Hello!
I was given two quail- it looks like a male scaled quail and a female snowflake. I have put them in a covered wire cage that is wider and longer than it is high and I'm trying to learn about these little ones. My first question- can the two different breeds be safely kept together?
Thanks so much!

Oh wow. I hope someone answers that can help you out. If they can't be together, I'd get them both a couple friends. Post pics? Those are both lovely breeds.

Snowflake = bobwhite, right? Those are supposed to be quite aggressive. Don't know about scaled quail. But if they have no same-species mates, they might tolerate or even come to appreciate each others company. If they are not used to living together, I'd keep a very, very close eye on them for the first couple of days - any chasing going on, and I'd put them in separate cages beside each other for a week+ so they can get used to the presence of each other, before reintroducing them in a cage that is new to both. But even if they seem calm and content around each other, hormonal changes caused by longer days, higher temps and such might suddenly cause them to turn on each other after living together happily for months, so I'd be very careful. But I haven't owned either of the species, so I'm just throwing theories at you ;)

I doubt you'll get any offspring and, if a snowflake is a bobwhite, it could get ugly. The problem is that they're best kept with at least one other bird, but I'd probably put them in adjoining cages.

The scaled quail are absolutely beautiful. I'd suggest keeping them for a month or so and seeing if you like them. If you've got a farm, you'll have the space and you'll like the eggs from the bobwhite. The eggs are fantastic and the meat is great on quail, but I'd suggest getting coturnix quail for both, if that appeals to you.

Back
Top Bottom